How Do You Keep The Lid Up On A Treasure Chest Cake?

Decorating By emmee Updated 8 Mar 2012 , 10:37pm by emmee

emmee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmee Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a Treasure Chest cake for my grandson. Can anyone tell me how to keep the lid open and up at an approx. 45 degree angle? I am going to make the lid out of Rice Krispie treats. How can I keep it from falling off backwards? Any ideas??? Thanks!

8 replies
sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 9

I would like to know this one too.

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 9

I am doing a similar design next week, but mine is a humidor. I am using dowels to support the lid from the back, covering the spot where each one goes with a gold gumpaste shaped flat hinge, and then I am going to do one on each side in the front and make them look like the long metal hinges. HTH

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 9

Forgot to mention that I am covering my crispy treats in melted chocolate to make them stiffer. icon_smile.gif

sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 9

It's less expensive to use styrofoam if you don't want to use cake for the lid. I use styrofoam rounds cut in half and a wooden skewer pushed through all of the halves from side to side. I place them cut side down on a board that has been cut to size of bottom cakes. Skewers in the cake keep the lid from going all the way down. Skewers all the way from the top of styrofoam through cake hold it all together. Oh, and I wrap my styrofoam in cellophane or saran wrap beforehand and cover with buttercream or fondant. HTH

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 9

Use skewers to hold up the "lid". Have them go part way into your RCT lid and all the way to the bottom of the box. Hide the skewers by covering them with the "treasure" in the chest.

emmee Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 9

Ooo, thank you for the ideas! I've never made anything this elaborate before with cake. I'm still a newbie icon_lol.gif

Sweetkake, thank you for the details! That really helps me to picture it better. I hadn't thought about using styrofoam. hmmmm...! And the plastic wrap idea is great to know too.

Kisamarie, I really like your idea to cover the RKT with melted chocolate! I think I will do that to the underside of the lid. I was wondering what I was going to do with that and your suggestion is perfect! Actually covering the whole thing with chocolate (which I have an abundance of due to a generous friend) would be even better to give it a smoother look before I frost it to match the chest. I also like your "gold gumpaste shaped flat hinge" thingy idea too! Thanks!

Cakeyouverymuch, I will definitely use the "treasure" to hide the skewers. Good idea!

(One last question- I'm embarrassed to ask.... what does "HTH" mean?)

Thank you everyone!!! I can hardly wait to give this a shot!

sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 9

HTH (Hope this helps.) My avatar is a toy chest without the hinges. If you look at sweetkakes.com and click on baby shower cakes at the bottom of the page, you will see a couple I've done. These were sometime ago before I learned about styrofoam. Now I only use cake if I need more servings and I don't leave the lid as wide open as with styrofoam.

emmee Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 9

Sweetkake,

Thanks for the "HTH" explanation!

Also, I looked at your website- Wow you've been busy! You do beautiful work. Thank you for sharing some of your wealth of knowledge! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%