Two Tier German Chocolate Cake?

Decorating By mndart Updated 9 Mar 2012 , 1:03am by AnnieCahill

mndart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mndart Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 9

I need to make a two tier german chocolate cake for a birthday. What do I frost the outside with to be able to put white fondant over it? All suggestions welcome! Thank you!

8 replies
SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 5:29am
post #2 of 9

I would just use a chocolate buttercream

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 7:37am
post #3 of 9

I would use chocolate ganache.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 9

I would use plain vanilla buttercream because I feel like a heavier chocolate BC or ganache would overwhelm the other flavors. German chocolate is a very mild chocolate cake (personally I feel like it's just a vehicle for the delicious coconut pecan icing) and I think the flavors would stand out more if a vanilla BC was used.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I would use plain vanilla buttercream because I feel like a heavier chocolate BC or ganache would overwhelm the other flavors. German chocolate is a very mild chocolate cake (personally I feel like it's just a vehicle for the delicious coconut pecan icing) and I think the flavors would stand out more if a vanilla BC was used.

I agree with Annie, for many of our cakes there is a delicate and necessary balance between the cake and frosting flavors. I would even consider flavoring the frosting with coconut and pecan extracts. There are some very fine essences available that don't have chemical undertones and would enable you to keep that traditional german chocolate cake flavor. (Factoid: it was originally German's Chocolate named for Sam German who developed the baking chocolate for Bakers)

superdupercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superdupercakes Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 9

Annie and Southern got my vote

AnnieCahill Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 9

LOL Southern, I always go there about the Baker's chocolate. So many people think it's German chocolate from Germany. But it's German's made by Baker's LOL. The chocolate itself is pretty useless in any other application. But that's what gives the cake its mild and sweet flavor. I only use that recipe inside the wrapper. It bakes tall and is very moist.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 9

Annie, this may be a bit off topic, but that's the German's chocolate cake recipe I use as well...I remember the first one that my mother made from the recipe inside the Baker's box for my brother's first birthday in 1958. They had just come out with the recipe and were making a big hoopla over it in the ads. (I can just imagine the original Madmen sitting around their mid century offices approving ad copy of housewives in heels, dresses, pearls and aprons taking the sweet ambrosia out of the oven as my brother would later call the cake that he insisted he have - and still does - for every birthday).

AnnieCahill Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 1:03am
post #9 of 9

Wow that is so cool. I love all the old ads for baking stuff. I like going to Cracker Barrel because of all the cool stuff I get to look at on the walls.

I always cook the pecan frosting a bit extra so it's thicker and sticks to the cake better. Man, I need to find a reason to make one of those now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%