Introducing Myself To Cake Central

Lounge By vlmtz Updated 8 Mar 2012 , 8:20pm by vlmtz

vlmtz Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone! I have been lurking here for a while and thought it was finally time to join (yesterday) and introduce myself to everyone. I'm Tori. I live in Arkansas, although I am originally from Ohio. I am a total newbie at this but I am having so much fun figuring things out as I go. I have taught myself from the internet and magazines and have been looking for classes that I can take but, unfortunately, in my area the only things available are the Wilton classes that are taught at Michael's (which is actually an hour away). Judging from a few comments I have read, I am not sure that those would be worth the drive. Anyway, I guess I will just keep teaching myself with tips from all you awesome cakers on cake central! I look forward to chatting with you all!

P.S. I posted a picture of my first cake on the "cake firsts" gallery. It's kinda lumpy and I think I rolled my fondant too thick, but it didn't turn out too bad for my first cake! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
jgifford Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, Tori. Your cake's not bad for a first one. You're braver than I was with my first cake. No way would I have tried fondant and cutouts and bling. icon_surprised.gif

You've come to the right place to learn. There are some supersmart cookies here (did you see what I did there?) and they're always willing to share tips and advice, and there's no better place to find inspiration.

Welcome Aboard!

Jan

cheatize Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 12:11am
post #3 of 7

Hiya! Welcome to CakeCentral!

vlmtz Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Hi, Tori. Your cake's not bad for a first one. You're braver than I was with my first cake. No way would I have tried fondant and cutouts and bling. icon_surprised.gif

You've come to the right place to learn. There are some supersmart cookies here (did you see what I did there?) and they're always willing to share tips and advice, and there's no better place to find inspiration.

Welcome Aboard!

Jan

Thanks, Jan! I have found a lot of inspiration and really good information here already (in my lurking days) and I am excited to be a member now.

TerriLynn Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Tori!! Welcome to Cake Central. I love this place! I can't imagine what I did during lunch time before I found this site. ha!! Your cake looks awesome to me. The tiered cakes scare me a little. ha!

auntginn Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 7

Hello Tori, Welcome to CC and all the wonderful things called caking, sugar art, etc.

Wow!! your cake is more than "not bad" especially for a first cake and self taught it is quite good. Which means in no time at all, with a little practice and paying attention to all the tips you get we will be looking to you for help. icon_biggrin.gif

Keep up the good work and as I'm sure you already know, if you have any questions don't hestitate to ask, we're here for you.

vlmtz Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriLynn

Hi Tori!! Welcome to Cake Central. I love this place! I can't imagine what I did during lunch time before I found this site. ha!! Your cake looks awesome to me. The tiered cakes scare me a little. ha!

Hi, TerriLynn! I know what you mean about the site! I have been on it all week browsing through pictures and forum posts! I work at a University and it is spring break. We still have to be here but there really isn't anything to do so I have had a lot of free time to browse. I hope I can get to where I am half as good as some of the pictures I have seen! Thanks for the compliments on my cake! I just ordered some cake dummies to practice on so I'll be posting more pics soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

Hello Tori, Welcome to CC and all the wonderful things called caking, sugar art, etc.

Wow!! your cake is more than "not bad" especially for a first cake and self taught it is quite good. Which means in no time at all, with a little practice and paying attention to all the tips you get we will be looking to you for help.

Keep up the good work and as I'm sure you already know, if you have any questions don't hestitate to ask, we're here for you.

Hi auntginn! Thanks so much for the compliments! I will definitely be asking questions as I am sure I will have many. I am trying to learn as much as I can because I love doing this and hope to make a business out of it someday in the future!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%