Just *can't* Make It - How To Tell Customer?

Business By dukeswalker Updated 24 Mar 2012 , 5:00am by LoveMeSomeCake615

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 5:19am
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

I rarely suggest CC filling either. Usually white chocolate SMBC, or toasted coconut and caramel. Now, try THAT and see what ya think. icon_wink.gif

With red velvet??? I've done coconut but not white chocolate.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 11:54am
post #32 of 38

My RV has very little food color. If you experiment, you will find that those huge amounts are overkill. I use about 2 tsp in a heavy 9 inch four layer cake. It is still red.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 2:00pm
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

I rarely suggest CC filling either. Usually white chocolate SMBC, or toasted coconut and caramel. Now, try THAT and see what ya think. icon_wink.gif

With red velvet??? I've done coconut but not white chocolate.

For reals....it's not any wackier than raspberry! icon_wink.gif Honestly....what doesn't go good together when you're talking good scratch recipes and meringue buttercreams, ya know? icon_lol.gif

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 2:08pm
post #34 of 38

This is what I sent out to the client:
Last year I actually stopped offering Red Velvet cake as the amount of food
coloring required to obtain that true, rich red color left me feeling
squeamish. However, in an effort to meet the wishes of my clients I have
re-adopted 2 Red Velvet cake versions. I offer a Contemporary Red Velvet cake which requires the use of red food coloring to achieve the desired shade of red and I also offer a Classical Red Velvet
cake that achieves its color from all natural beets. Which one were you interested in?

She opted to go with a Cannoli cake - said she didn't realize & didn't want a "chemical cake".

Crisis averted. icon_wink.gif

petiterouge42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petiterouge42 Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 3:19pm
post #35 of 38

I agree that some red velvet recipes call for a lot of food color. I, like some of the other posters, use one that does not use much food coloring- just enough to get it red.

I think if you tell the client that you don't make it because of the amount of food coloring that you should also let them know how much food coloring goes into the fondant, icing etc.

If you word it the way you did you have the customer thinking the worst when that may not be the case. If you eat candies like skittles, m&m's etc those all contain large amounts of food coloring but don't scare the average consumer.

Just my two cents; red velvet is my best seller and does not contain massive amounts of food color.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 4:46pm
post #36 of 38

Honestly it doesn't have to have that much dye in it if you don't want it too. I've make a pink velvet before and it was super cute. I don't understand how a baker could complain about the dye in the cake itself but not about the dye on the cake! FIrst off fondant, and most icing have more dye than red velvet cake. I'm just at a lost on this. If a customer wanted a flavor I would just make it bc it doesn't mean that I had to eat it!!! I've made several flavors that people have requested and I didn't even taste it bc that is what they wanted but I didn't like the sound of it. I guess it's good that she didn't want it but I hope that she is getting an all whie cake with white decorations as not to have all that dye... icon_confused.gif

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 1:44am
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker

If there is something you just refuse to make... how do you explain/justify it to a customer?

I just had this happen with cookie flavors (I offered a list of 9 and she asked for something not on the list): "I'm sorry, that's not a flavor I offer. I would be happy to forward you a list of other flavors that you might enjoy."

My client chose something else off the list I offered. My bet is that yours will, too.

I don't think it's necessary to tell her *why* you don't make it, but if she asks for more details you could certainly tell her your position.

Best of luck!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 5:00am
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

Honestly it doesn't have to have that much dye in it if you don't want it too. I've make a pink velvet before and it was super cute. I don't understand how a baker could complain about the dye in the cake itself but not about the dye on the cake! FIrst off fondant, and most icing have more dye than red velvet cake. I'm just at a lost on this. If a customer wanted a flavor I would just make it bc it doesn't mean that I had to eat it!!! I've made several flavors that people have requested and I didn't even taste it bc that is what they wanted but I didn't like the sound of it. I guess it's good that she didn't want it but I hope that she is getting an all whie cake with white decorations as not to have all that dye... icon_confused.gif

ITA thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%