Opinions On Various Cake Mix Brands Wanted

Decorating By emmee Updated 8 Mar 2012 , 6:06pm by DeniseNH

emmee Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 4

I'm new to cake decorating. As I've been perusing the various forums I notice that not all cake mixes are alike. What are your opinions on Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Duncan Heinz, etc. when it comes to doctoring a mix? Why do you choose some over others? Do some rise more, taste better, or have some other quality that is better than the others? Appreciate your input icon_smile.gif

3 replies
auntginn Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:12am
post #2 of 4

emmee, welcome to CC. I'm sure you will love this site as much as the rest of us do and will grow from it.

I make 1/2 my cakes with box cake mixes and the other from scratch. (depends on what the customer wants) My first choice is Betty Crocker because its easier to mix up, marries well when doctoring it up and most ppl can't tell the difference.

I use Duncan Hines for the red velvet and only that flavor. No other brand carries rv in my area. I might occasionsly use Phillsberry but try not to.

Hoped this helped.

Lucyem Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 4

Not all mixes have the same amount of mix. If you look at the oz in a box some are less. (I think BC is less then DH) In general I prefer a cake from scratch, especially with chocolate. But if I want to make something quickly I usually use Duncan Hines.

DeniseNH Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 4

I too mix mine half and half. Recently a ton of decorators have been having difficulty with Duncan Hines - to the point that I try to avoid it. They must have gotten a bad batch of baking powder because they wouldn't rise and resembled cornmeal when broken open. Then the dark chocolate was lighter than devils food but that's now fixed. I just don't trust them anymore. I complained to the company twice, begged and pleaded to test out a batch because there's a real problem. They sent me three one dollar coupons instead of solving the problem. ??????????????

Quote by @%username% on %date%