Mmf Troubleshooting

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 9 Mar 2012 , 12:05am by annakat444

annakat444 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 20

Hi all! I'm new to fondant and haven't made it to a fondant class yet, so I'm teaching myself. I made a batch of MMF about a month or so ago and just pulled it out to play around with it. It was stored properly - wasn't dried out, but very crumbly. No amount of kneading helped. Why does this happen and how do I fix this? And is there a fondant recipe out there that *truly* tastes like buttercream? Thanks for the help!!!

19 replies
MacsMom Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 20

Before storing, I coat mine in a thin layer of shortening (by rubbing it on my hands then onto the MMF) and wrap in 2 or layers of plastic wrap. Do you add glycerine to your MMF? That helps keep it pliable.

Even when mine ends up crumbly (common when using food coloring), it can easily be saved by warming in the micro and kneading like crazy. Oh, in fact, over-heating the MM's in the first place can contribute to MMF ending up dry. Be sure not to melt them too long.

I looked all over for the nes butter flavoring and finally found it. Only one of the Wal Marts in town carries it, though--Watkins brand extract. I used to use LoRann but it is so expensive to use enough for a good flavor, but the Watkins really packs flavor, even though it isn't concentrated like LoRann.

Herekittykitty Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 20

Everything Macsmom said plus, you may have initially added too much PS to it. It's hard to know when to stop when just starting, my first batch was a disaster and learned that where I live, 2lbs of PS is too much and stop adding when it is no longer sticky and won't take any more PS easily. If it is too sticky after resting for 24hrs, add a bit more PS.

annakat444 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

Everything Macsmom said plus, you may have initially added too much PS to it. It's hard to know when to stop when just starting, my first batch was a disaster and learned that where I live, 2lbs of PS is too much and stop adding when it is no longer sticky and won't take any more PS easily. If it is too sticky after resting for 24hrs, add a bit more PS.




Thanks, I thought about that too. I tried to fix it by adding some corn syrup, but that didn't help so I just threw it out. Do you live where it's really humid? I'm in Mississippi and wondering how the humidity here will affect my fondant. Thanks for the tips!

annakat444 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Before storing, I coat mine in a thin layer of shortening (by rubbing it on my hands then onto the MMF) and wrap in 2 or layers of plastic wrap. Do you add glycerine to your MMF? That helps keep it pliable.

Even when mine ends up crumbly (common when using food coloring), it can easily be saved by warming in the micro and kneading like crazy. Oh, in fact, over-heating the MM's in the first place can contribute to MMF ending up dry. Be sure not to melt them too long.

I looked all over for the nes butter flavoring and finally found it. Only one of the Wal Marts in town carries it, though--Watkins brand extract. I used to use LoRann but it is so expensive to use enough for a good flavor, but the Watkins really packs flavor, even though it isn't concentrated like LoRann.




Hmm...well I probably did overheat it. How long do you usually warm it in the microwave and at what power setting? This batch didn't have any glycerine in it because I wasn't sure where to buy it. Where can I find it? Thanks for the help!

sberryp Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 20

MacMom- Do you only use MMF?

Herekittykitty Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by annakat444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

Everything Macsmom said plus, you may have initially added too much PS to it. It's hard to know when to stop when just starting, my first batch was a disaster and learned that where I live, 2lbs of PS is too much and stop adding when it is no longer sticky and won't take any more PS easily. If it is too sticky after resting for 24hrs, add a bit more PS.



Thanks, I thought about that too. I tried to fix it by adding some corn syrup, but that didn't help so I just threw it out. Do you live where it's really humid? I'm in Mississippi and wondering how the humidity here will affect my fondant. Thanks for the tips!




No, I live in the upper midwest and it is much drier here than in Miss. You would probably need all the PS and maybe a bit more since humidity will make it softer. Just add until it seems like it is taking in the PS but barely, smear a very fine layer of shortning over the ball and tightly double wrap and set on the counter or in the cubbord for a few hrs/overnight. If when you try to use it the fondant feels sticky or is stringy when you break a piece off, add more PS and let rest a few more hrs.

CS will just make the MMF tough, glycerin is the way to go, you can find it at craft stores that sell Wilton products, or if you have one, a local bake shop.

designdiva22 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 20

what is the "Nes butter flavoring" from Watkins? TIA!

MacsMom Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

MacMom- Do you only use MMF?




Yes, I only use MMF. And I don't wait for it settle - I make it as I need it and use it immediately. I do save the leftovers, though, and use those when needed!

You can buy Wilton glycerine at Michaels or Joann's, but I buy mine online countrykitchensa.com because they sell larger bottles.

MacsMom Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by designdiva22

what is the "Nes butter flavoring" from Watkins? TIA!




Typo! Should've read "best butter flavoring". Watkins brand is the best I've come across.

sberryp Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 1:25am
post #11 of 20

Macs Mom- your MM fondant looks great, which recipe do you use?

annakat444 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 3:28am
post #12 of 20

Yes! Macs Mom your cakes are awesome! Please share your MMF recipe!

MacsMom Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 2:23pm
post #13 of 20

My MMF:

3 - 10.5 bags MMs (Wal Mart)
2 - 2 lb bags PS (Wal Mart or Target, but lately Target's has been too grainy and makes awful MMF)
1 Tbls glycerine
1 Tbls Watkins butter flavoring (or any flavor to match the profile of your cake).
Food color as desired

For black, brown, red, royal blue and deep green, I use a 9oz jar of powdered food color along with gel food color.
icon_biggrin.gif

Claire138 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 2:46pm
post #14 of 20

You can also use a touch of crisco to help with the kneading once the fondant (mmf) has been out for a while (even if it's been stored correctly it will still harden after a time). I've found that putting it in the microwave just makes it harden to a very difficult to work with consistency once the heat goes out of it, not always leaving enough time for the decorations to be finished before it has to be nuked again!
For black or brown I first add melted dark chocolate and then black colouring until I get the desired colour. Doesn't use too much dye and tastes really good.

sberryp Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 3:05pm
post #15 of 20

Thanks for sharing Macs Mom!!!!

dawnybird Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 3:11pm
post #16 of 20

annakat444,
I also live in Mississippi, very humid. I was also completely new to fondant. I used the Buttercream Flavored MMF recipe that is in the most saved recipes section and I had success with it the very first time I made it. I have now made figures and decorations with it and have covered cakes with it. I used vanilla, butter flavor (Watkins) and almond. It's so easy to work with! I store it like the others are saying: layer of Crisco, 2 layers of plastic wrap and into a ziploc. I've had it last for at least 6 weeks and it never has gotten crumbly or too hard to knead. Give it a try. I just love it! Good luck!

annakat444 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 4:42pm
post #17 of 20

Thanks for the recipe Macs Mom! Question - your recipe calls for 1 tbsp butter flavoring - how much flavoring would I use if I wanted to use butter and vanilla flavoring? Do you ever use more than one?

annakat444 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 8:52pm
post #18 of 20

Well, ignore my last question. I just made a test batch of MMF with the Watkins butter flavoring...it was AMAZING! Tasted literally just like buttercream, I'm so excited! I could not find glycerine (went to Wal Mart, Joann's, and Michaels! Everyone was out) so I used corn syrup. I can't wait to make a test cake this weekend! Thanks again Macs Mom!

sberryp Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 11:27pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by annakat444

Well, ignore my last question. I just made a test batch of MMF with the Watkins butter flavoring...it was AMAZING! Tasted literally just like buttercream, I'm so excited! I could not find glycerine (went to Wal Mart, Joann's, and Michaels! Everyone was out) so I used corn syrup. I can't wait to make a test cake this weekend! Thanks again Macs Mom!


I was going to try corn syrup too. How is the batch that you made? Is it easy to work with?

annakat444 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 12:05am
post #20 of 20

sberryp: The fondant turned out very nice - very smooth, soft and pliable, although I'm wondering if it is possible to be TOO soft. I'm letting it sit overnight and see how it is tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it doesn't need more powdered sugar, it wasn't sticky anymore. I used a different recipe from Macs Mom because I didn't have quite enough ingredients on hand. Here is the recipe I used:

16 oz mini marshmallows
1 tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp Watkins butter flavoring
1 1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 tsp corn syrup
2 lb powdered sugar (it took a little less...I added 1/2 the bag to begin and then slowly worked the rest in until it was the right consitency)

Directions for making this recipe are on cake boss's website, if you google "cake boss marshmallow fondant" you'll find the directions. Let me know how it turns out for you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%