Black Icing Help!!!

Decorating By creativecaker Updated 7 Mar 2012 , 5:37am by carmijok

creativecaker Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 5:02am
post #1 of 2

I have been researching this for hours and still can't really find the answer I'm looking for. Here's my dilemma - I'm doing a huge 5-tier cake for a woman who wants absolutely no fondant whatsoever, (not even for decorations), and wants it iced in whipped icing (which does not crust). The colors are black & white. Obviously, the whipped icing is white, and the decorations are to be very intricately piped black scrolly designs on the sides. How can I keep the black from bleeding? I will be spending the entire week before the event decorating the cake, so I'm going to have to be putting it in the fridge between days. I mean, I can't just let it sit out for a week, can I? I have heard of things like using choc. icing and using a little bit of black to tint, but these were all dealing with buttercream-frosted cakes, not whipped. I've also heard of waiting until the last minute to put the black decorations on, but since the black decorations are very intricate and take up a good deal of space, I can't do that either. Any suggestions? Is this even possible to accomplish without having runny black drips everywhere?? icon_cry.gif If I can somehow convince my client to let me use black fondant for the decorations and accents, will the black fondant bleed onto the whipped icing?

1 reply
carmijok Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 5:37am
post #2 of 2

I am speaking not from experience, but just from a thought I had. Why not try royal icing? It dries so much harder than buttercream and the fear of dripping to me would be lessened. If I were you I'd experiment with a very small cake using your icing and see what works best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%