Upside Down Frosting Technique Problems

Decorating By laura4795 Updated 24 Mar 2012 , 7:16pm by LisaPeps

laura4795 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 3:18am
post #1 of 10

I watched the Jessicakes tutorial on upside down frosting. In theory it sounds great, but it only worked partially for me. For starters, after I covered my cake in fondant it was about 1/3" tilting to one side. Not sure why this happened?

The other problem I had was, I had to put quite a bit of icing around the sides of the cake to get the sides nice and level. After I covered the cake in fondant it became quite squishy on the sides. I picked it up to move it around and left finger indentations on the sides.

Has anyone had an experience like this with the upside down technique? What did I do wrong? I used the Wilton Chocolate Buttercreme recipe. Maybe that wasn't the right consistency?

9 replies
SRumzis Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:45am
post #2 of 10

I use the upside down method all the time. Some tips I would offer are to use Sugarshacks buttercream recipe, and to use your cake circle as a guide when scraping the sides with a hot clean bench scraper,keeping the scraper level, I rest the bottom of mine on the turntable (covered with wax paper) as I go to make sure it's level. Hth

LisaPeps Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 11:10am
post #3 of 10

Get a spirit level to check that is level. I use ganache so I can't help with the buttercream problem. What I do is:

1) spread your top on the parchment paper (this is actually the bottom while you work on it but becomes the top)
2) add your layers and fillings (stack it)
3) spread a small amount on top of the last layer of cake and stick your cake board on.
4) put your spirit level on top of the board and push down where it is not level. Make sure you do each area so it is perfectly level.
5) put your ganache/buttercream around the sides and scrape smooth.
6) fridge till solid then flip over. Should be perfect!

AnnieCahill Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 10

If the cake was tilting, and you had to use a lot of BC to get the sides level, then it tells me the cake wasn't level to begin with. Sometimes, if one cake is a bit larger than the other one, I will use a serrated knife to trim the excess. The cake has to be level all around for any icing method to work.

Secondly, it sounds like your BC may have been too soft. You need to make sure it's the consistency of very stiff whipped cream and then chill it until it's rock hard before you cover it. Hope this helps.

Annie

laura4795 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 4:10am
post #5 of 10

Thank you for these replies! You've all given me lots of good advice. A few more questions:

SRumiz: The SugarShack buttercreme recipe sounds like it is a good one for this. I will definitely check it out.

LisaPeps: What is a spirit level?

Annie: If my buttercreme is stiff when I cover it with fondant, what will happen when I bring it back to room temperature?

SRumzis Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 6:37am
post #6 of 10

With Sugarshacks buttercream I wouldn't refrigerate very long, like 15 mins max to avoid lowering the internal temperature of the cake, which can cause sweating when you bring it back to room temperature. I don't refrigerate it at all, the air exposure crusts it nicely for me.

laura4795 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 10

Another question: What is hi-ratio shortening? I see that in Sugarshack's recipe. Not sure what it is!

SRumzis Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 10

Hi ratio means a lot of trans fat basically, but they also put emulsifiers in it as well. I use sweetest but there's alpine and a few others. If you use crisco your buttercream might end up looking like cottage cheese!

LisaPeps Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 10

Sorry I didn't get any notifications. This is a spirit level, it must be called something else in the US

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_level

LisaPeps Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 10

Sorry I didn't get any notifications. This is a spirit level, it must be called something else in the US

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_level

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%