Clear Vanilla Flavor??

Decorating By BuffytheBakingSlayer Updated 9 Mar 2012 , 11:39am by elisaber

BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 2:44am
post #1 of 7

Is clear vanilla flavor just clear vanilla extract? If so,is its use in the WASC strictly to maintain the color?

I am planning on using the recipe for a cake, but I don't want to use anything wrong. I plan dye the cake batter, so would it be ok to use regular vanilla extract?

6 replies
dawnybird Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 3:15am
post #2 of 7

Clear vanilla is not extract. It is flavoring. I always use real extract when white color is not an issue. The flavor is so much better imo, but remember that it's brown color may change your colorings a little if they are light.

step0nmi Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 3:17am
post #3 of 7

you could use regular vanilla extract! the brown in it will make the cake look slightly more ivory looking, but should still taste good icon_wink.gif

Watkins has a clear vanilla that's really good (I only use this type of flavoring as did my great grandmother her whole life lol) and i've started finding them at walmart of all places!

BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 7

So where would you even get "clear vanilla flavor"? I guess I am still confused. Is it just the color issue?

I need to do a practice run on the cakes, so maybe i will do so using regular vanilla extract and the lightest dye color and see what happens.

TexasSugar Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 7

Adam's makes a clear vanilla as does Wilton. Clear vanilla is not really the same thing as vanilla extract. But it is a vanilla flavoring, but is not made the same was as regular vanilla extract.

Real vanilla extract will have the brown color but really shouldn't affect your colors that much in a cake. If used in icing the icing is just off white and not a white white.

auzzi Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 10:32am
post #6 of 7

Vanilla extracted comes from the steeping of mashed vanilla beans in alcohol. It is brown.
Clear vanilla is either chemically-identical vanillin from sources other than vanilla beans, or artificial vanillin created in the laboratory.

elisaber Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 11:39am
post #7 of 7

I buy my clear vanilla flavor from Vanillabazaar (although they do call it extract), and have always been very happy with it. When the cake or paste doesn't need to be white, I use Madagascar vanilla extract.

But I have one question about it, though - if I may hi-jack the thread slightly: You can get the vanilla extract/flavor in different strengths/purities... both 200 grams vanilla pr litre and 400 grams vanilla pr litre. What is the "normal" purity for extracts used in recipes? If that's 200 g/l, does that mean I should only use half as much of the 400 g/l when I bake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%