Look At My Pricing Please, Cake Boss Question

Business By Krista512 Updated 6 Mar 2012 , 10:48pm by jgifford

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 4:46am
post #1 of 8

can you please let me know what you think of my pricing? im in a big city and have to compete with all the craigslist bakers whom some do dirt cheap cakes.

I looked at all their sites and did my prices in the medium average of their prices for those that were not dirt cheap.

also i have the cake boss software and i have some cupcakes that i need to make one dozen with fondant tools on top. im inputting half of my chocolate batter and half of my buttercream recipe. a cupcake clamshell, and 1/4th of my fondant recipe. but it is telling me to charge her over $60 that is crazy for one dozen chocolate cupcakes with buttercream and fondant tools on top right????? i charge $22 for one dozen cupcakes. and start at $1 per fondant topper. so why is this software telling me to charge so much

Every cake is custom made so I can not simply list prices for every cake. Below are starting prices for my standard shaped cakes. Starting prices are for basic cake flavor with buttercream filling and frosting with a border, writing, and basic buttercream decor such as flowers or balloons balloons. Extras such as special fillings, and more detailed decorations cost more.

Round Cakes - 2 Layers of cake 1 layer of filling
(servings are 2x2 in squares 4 inches high)
6 in - 8 servings - $25 and up - or Fondant $35 and up
8 in - 14 servings - $35 and up - or Fondant $50 and up
10 in - 21 servings - $45 and up - or Fondant $65 and up
12 in - 28 servings - $55 and up - or Fondant $80 and up
14 in - 41 servings - $70 and up - or Fondant $100 and up
16 in - 50 servings - $85 and up - or Fondant $ 120 and up

Square Cakes - 2 Layers of Cake 1 layer of filling
(servings are 2x2 in squares 4 inches high)
6 in - 9 servings - $25 and up - or Fondant $35 and up
8 in - 16 servings - $35 and up - or Fondant $50 and up
10 in - 25 servings - $50 and up - or Fondant $70 and up
12 in - 36 servings - $65 and up - or Fondant $90 and up
14 in - 49 servings - $85 and up - or Fondant $115 and up
16 in - 64 servings - $ 100 and up - or Fondant $135 and up

Sheet Cakes 1 layer of cake NO filling
(servings are 2x2x2 inches)
Quarter sheet - 9x13x2 - 24 servings - $50 and up - or Fondant $70 and up
Half Sheet - 12x18x2 - 54 servings - $70 and up - or Fondant $100 and up
Full Sheet - 16x24x2 - 96 servings - $110 and up - or Fondant $140 and up

Custom sculpted cakes are very detailed and take much longer to make. Therefore I can not quote a basic price or serving size. There is a $75 minimum on ANY sculpted cake.

odd shaped cakes such as flower, paisley, diamond, hexagon etc have an additional charge.

Cupcakes with swirled frosting - $22 per dozen (mimimum 1 dozen)
Mini Cupcakes with swirled frosting - $15 per dozen ( minimum 2 dozen)
cake pops - $20 per dozen (minimum 2 dozen)
Fondant / gumpaste cupcake toppers start at $1 per cupcake

Sculpted fondant / gumpaste cake decorations and toppers start at $5

*More detail work on a cake takes more time to make therefore affecting the price. As well as fillings, sculpted figures, piping work, multiple colors, multiple flavors, fondant and gumpaste decorations etc
Please be aware of the type of custom cake you are wanting and the work that is involved regarding the price

** prices are subject to change at any time.

7 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 5:20am
post #2 of 8

you're too cheap! go with the cake boss software. what type of decorator are you? a cheapy decorator that puts your cakes on craigslist...OR a custom designer who makes cakes into art!? icon_wink.gif you set your pricing and you receive the clients you desire. Plus, if you price lower you will get even cheaper people...putting it into perspective on how some of the PROS on here say : would you rather decorate multiple cakes to make $100 or ONE cake to make $100!? your choice!

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 5:29am
post #3 of 8

I'm so confused. All I have to advertise for now is craigslist. I have tee shirts I made with my website on them for me and my kids. Im under the cottage food law so I cant give out samples. I have people going to other decorators cause they say i'm to expensive. I'm trying to get started. I just can't seam to get orders either i'm to expensive or cause I won't do copyrighted stuff now since I learned the law. I calculated my cost to make buttecream abd batter and got cost power cake size. Then multiplied that by 3 and priced close to that.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 6:05am
post #4 of 8

I think you've got to first decide what type of decorator you want to be (what kind of products are you looking to put out there), and what types of clients you wish to attract. Then you need to create a business plan (which would include a marketing plan) tailored to helping you attract the kind of business you want.

Now if the type of clients that shop for cakes through craigslist is your target market, then it seems you may be on the right track, but even at that your cakes are super cheap.

I've only had cakeboss for a few weeks but it's only a tool, and it will churn out numbers based on what you put in it. If you are sure that the data you put for ingredients and materials is accurate, along with your overhead, and your hourly rate for labor, then whatever price it's showing is what accurately describes what your product should be worth BASED on your own predetermined choices.

If you want a better market than craiglists you would be doing yourself a big disservice by pricing your products the way you have them now, you will not attract people seeking quality with those prices simply because price often plays a role in how customers perceive a product, too cheap and they wonder if it's good quality.

P.S. If you've taken even one marketing or entrepreneurship course you would know that "under-pricing" the competition isn't often a great way to compete in a market. More than likely it hurts your business.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 7:02am
post #5 of 8

IMO you may want to take a break and put your web site (and your advertising) on hold while you organize your business plan and put together a marketing strategy. Craigslist is the last place you should be advertising if you want to sell premium products, and as long as your name is out there on CL your reputation will move further away from where you want it to be.

A price of $5 or more per cupcakes is very reasonable once you include detailed fondant toppers.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 7:24am
post #6 of 8

Where are you getting your serving sizes? A 6inch round serves 12, and an 8inch serves 24.

You're charging $1.45 per serving for an 8inch. That's bargain basement prices, as far as I know.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 8:14am
post #7 of 8

Industry standard servings are 1x2x4 (8 cu. in.)... you're giving away double servings with 16 cu. in. serving sizes.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Don't give away 100% more cake just because "everything's bigger in Texas".

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista512

I'm so confused. All I have to advertise for now is craigslist. I have tee shirts I made with my website on them for me and my kids. Im under the cottage food law so I cant give out samples. I have people going to other decorators cause they say i'm to expensive. I'm trying to get started. I just can't seam to get orders either i'm to expensive or cause I won't do copyrighted stuff now since I learned the law. I calculated my cost to make buttecream abd batter and got cost power cake size. Then multiplied that by 3 and priced close to that.

Why can't you give out samples?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%