I'm Having An "if Something Can Go Wrong, It Will"

Decorating By MerlotCook Updated 6 Mar 2012 , 3:45am by mcaulir

MerlotCook Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 8

I usually use SPS for my cakes, but I don't have it for 8", 6", 4". I cannot find any type of tier supplies in my dinky town (not even the hollow Wilton ones!), nor can I find bubble tea straws. Do I have any options? My tiers are only 3" high, with one layer of filling instead of my typical 3, so it does take off some weight of the cake. It is for tomorrow, and I've had to make 2 layers twice already. I've had it icon_smile.gif Does anybody have any words of wisdom for stacking it? Thanks!

7 replies
FullHouse Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 8

You can use wooden dowels. Just make sure the are all cut even (use a miter box if you have one).

kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 8

Regular, soft-drink type plastic straws will work just fine for that size cake. Find the 'fattest' ones you can - like from McDonalds or other fast food places. I made 100s of cakes using them icon_smile.gif

MerlotCook Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 8

I really need to stock up on these seldom used, but on occasion necessary essentials! No wooden dowels available here either. Will sucker sticks work?

MerlotCook Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 8

Oh, awesome! We DO have a McDonald's here (surprisingly!).

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 3:29am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlotCook

I really need to stock up on these seldom used, but on occasion necessary essentials! No wooden dowels available here either. Will sucker sticks work?

No, sucker straws are too skinny and will absorb moisture from your cake and can buckle.

With those size tiers, any decent drinking straw will work fine. Put 4 in the 8" to support the 6" and 3 in the 6" to support the 4". Cut level and you're good to go.

Rae

KoryAK Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 3:36am
post #7 of 8

Yep!

mcaulir Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 3:45am
post #8 of 8

Regular drinking straws will work just fine. I used them to stack a very heavy 12/9/6 mudcake a while ago, and it travelled with no center dowel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%