Buttercream Icing Too Hard?

Decorating By laceylace_2004 Updated 10 Mar 2012 , 7:09pm by myxstorie

laceylace_2004 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 6

I just got an email from a customer of mine who wrote, and said everyone but three did not like the cake. Two being the taste (I use box mix with instant jello packet) and the other saying my buttercream icing was too hard to eat. I have never heard of this complaint. Could she have been referring to the fondant and the stiff dam? If it was as hard as my customer is implying, then there is no way I could have filled and iced the cake.

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 6

Those are very unusual complaintsicon_sad.gif I have made 100s of cakes using box mix w/o complaints - BUT....you must understand that *taste* is a very personal thing. What you like/find sweet or sour might not be what I would eat.
The icing hard - is another matter - I bet they were not used to the texture of fondant. Was the cake covered w/it or did you just u se it as accents?
We cannot tell you what the customer was meaning. You are going to have to as her more ?s to get a better understanding.

laceylace_2004 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 6

I covered the whole cake in fondant. I asked my customer if they elaborated on their complaints, and she said they didn't go into details. She told me that she loved it and her mom loved it. So I am very happy with that. I was just wondering if anyone else has had those complaints because I was just confused.

DeniseNH Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 6

The fondant must have been cold and when they went to cut it, it was hard to cut. The flavor of the cake?????? I too use a box mix with instant pudding to give it moistness and body. I get nothing but compliments. Was she just trying to get a rebate from you. Some people do. What you need to watch for is another order from this customer. If and when she orders, .........................you can be busy?????

laceylace_2004 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 6

The lady who bought the cake loved it. She just told me that three people at the party hated the cake and that were their reasons. I was just curious if anyone else heard those complaints. She said out of the 15, that everyone but those three ate it up.

myxstorie Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 6

Sounds odd :/ Especially as she says most people loved the cake - that doesn't sound like someone after a rebate. It does sound like the guests just had a different personal preference against the flavour and the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%