First Tasting!/cheesecakes

Business By Bridgette1129 Updated 6 Mar 2012 , 2:14pm by MimiFix

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 6

I have received an inquiry from a potential customers regarding cheesecakes for her wedding!

Since I am so new to business, I have not done a tasting yet. She is planning on 150 guests.

Any tips or advice would be very appreciated! I am unsure of how many portions to have (they want to have caramel or chocolate at wedding) or any other details.

Thanks for any help you give!

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 6

I don't do cheesecakes for tastings, they're too expensive to make for free. If you do a wedding cheesecake you might have to do three layers of it to get a good height, so make sure you charge enough. They're more expensive than regular cakes. Plus, confectioner's sugar buttercream doesn't stick to them as well as the meringues do, so you'd probably have to plan on doing a meringue buttercream. That will taste better with cheesecake anyway.

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 6:32am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I don't do cheesecakes for tastings, they're too expensive to make for free. If you do a wedding cheesecake you might have to do three layers of it to get a good height, so make sure you charge enough. They're more expensive than regular cakes. Plus, confectioner's sugar buttercream doesn't stick to them as well as the meringues do, so you'd probably have to plan on doing a meringue buttercream. That will taste better with cheesecake anyway.

Do you not charge for tastings?
Thanks for the tip on frostings. I don't think they want them decorated.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 6:43am
post #4 of 6

For serving size, just plan the usual and cut the same.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 11:43am
post #5 of 6

I don't charge for tastings, but if someone wanted to taste a cheesecake I'd be happy to sell them one for full price.

Just an aside, have people ever tasted cheesecake before? Do they not know what it tastes like? I've had a lot of people recently requesting specific flavors of cake ( I don't take requests, but they still ask) but it's requests for chocolate or yellow cake. Things that everyone knows what they taste like. I had one person ask if they could taste a white cake. seriously? Yeah, I know that they want to try the texture of th cake, blah blah, but if you're going to request something specific why ask for vanilla?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 6

Tasting a cheesecake is fine off you already have a customer order. Pour a little batter into a cupcake liner and bake for a short time. Or tell the potential customer they can order a small cheesecake.

For small wedding cakes, I would charge for any tasting and deduct it from the final cost if they book. That cuts down on people who only want freebies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%