Delivery Question!! Your Help/advice Is Much Appreciated :)

Decorating By CakesbyCara Updated 5 Mar 2012 , 7:52pm by auntginn

CakesbyCara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCara Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Cake Girls!! I am very new to cake decorating and very inspired by all of you CC ladies. First off, thank you so much for considering my cake problem!

Ok, here's the issue- I am making a baby shower cake for my sister in law and am very excited about doing it! It is not a large cake- just a 6in stacked on an 8in covered in fondant and with cute fondant accents. However, here's the issue-- I live on the coast of NC and she lives in D.C. (6hrs away). My husband and I are driving the cake/decorations down, but I have NEVER ever drove a cake anywhere let alone 6 hrs. I have confidence it can be done, but just wondering if anyone has any advice for me.

I for sure want to bake the cake at my house, and I would love to stack and decorate it at my house too, but should I? I am more comfortable in my kitchen (with my kitchen aids and appliances haha) and I don't think I am going to have very much time to do all this when I get there! Ok, thanks so much icon_smile.gif

6 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 7

I would decorate the layers separately and do a final stack when I got there. Bring a repair kit with you. Have a few extra decorations in case something falls off or you need to cover a damaged area. Also, a small amount of buttercream or colored fondant in case you need to pipe a border or add a rope edge to cover a problem.

Think through the travel. Where in the car will the cakes go? Do you have some non-skid mats for the cakes? You just need a safe, place for the cakes where they won't slide in their boxes and the boxes won't slide around. Six hours is a long time to hope for no quick stops.

Stacking at the venue should only take a few minutes.

wonkycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wonkycakes Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 7

For that sized cake transport shouldn't be any problem. Just make sure you use a central dowel from top to bottom to stabilize the two tiers. pack in a transport box, or deep cake box and load it into the car in such a way that there is no lateral movement anywhere. A non slip mat under the cake box is really great.
If you can cover the cake it will be just fine in the trunk packed this way. Alternatively the one who is not driving could sit in the backseat with the cake to make sure it doesn't move. Then drive smooooothlyicon_smile.gif I deliver all my cakes and I've never had a problem.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with matthewkyrankelly, the cakes might be small but individually you can put them in their own box to protect them. If you stack them at your place and transport, you will be dealing with the heighth issue as well and looking for a box to accomadate the entire cake.

Also don't forget weather factors. We have had unseasonaly warm weather which means you might have to drive with the air on all the way. I would pack them in a cooler with ice packs. You may feel comfortable with the temp and not want the air on, a 6hr road trip is a long one with the air given the price of gas these days as well. It may be very cold and you need the heat on instead which in that case you will need the cake to stay cool.

Good Luck, HTH!

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with everyone saying you should transport it separately then assemble on site. Its better to be safe than sorry. Id also wear a jacket and keep the car really cool. I buy that rubbery shelf liner in big rolls and just roll that out in the back of the SUV and place the cake boxes on that, haven't had one move yet!

CakesbyCara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCara Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you everyone for all of this wonderful advice!!! I love all of these great ideas and I think I am definitely going to decorate the cake at the place, but make all the decorations beforehand, and force my husband to drive slooooooooooooow, which may be the hardest part about all this hahahah. Also, the non-slip mat is a great idea!!! icon_smile.gif thank you all so much!!! I really enjoy this community and it has helped me so much already!! Hope to return the favor one day once I get some experience under my belt.

-Cara

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 7

Cara, your very welcome, glad to be of help. Don't forget to take a pic and share it with us.I'm sure you'll be very happy with the results. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%