Wooden Structure Question

Decorating By ajwonka Updated 9 Mar 2012 , 2:54am by ajwonka

ajwonka Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a similar cake & need advice on the structure needed for the scales of justice. I plan to screw a dowel to the wooden cake board & cover the exposed part of the dowel with fondant/modeling chocolate. Questions: Do I screw the dowel in first, slide the fondant covered "books" down over the dowel & then cover the dowel? Or is there a way to screw the dowel in after I deliver the cake & the books are stacked? Also, shouldn't the "arms" of the scale have a wooden structure too? I'm afraid just molded fondant/modeling chocolate wouldn't support the weight of the scale "pans" hanging off them. Thanks so much!!

4 replies
rmurphy84 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 4:04am
post #2 of 5

i would make the arms out of wood and either cover them with fondant, or paint them with thinned royal icing.as for the dowel going in before or after stacking the books, i supposed it depends on how you support the cakes and how you place to conceal the hole where the scale meets the book. it sounds like you're wanting to carry the cake without the scale attached in case of breakage? why not just stack the books with the dowel already, then attach the scale on delivery?

ajwonka Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 5

I'm sure this sounds silly but wood really isn't my thing! I guess I'll somehow screw the arms into the dowel?

I'm placing Calla lilies to conceal the hole. Yes, I can attach the dowel before delivery. I've never actually screwed a dowel to a drum before! I'm assuming a screw comes up through the bottom of the drum. If I stack the books first, I don't see how I'll ever hit the screw since I won't be able to see it. On the other hand, if I try to slide the fondant covered books down over that long, already screwed in dowel, won't the fondant tear & stretch like crazy?

Maybe I'm making this too hard!

rmurphy84 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 12:13am
post #4 of 5

If you hold your hand on top where the dowel will come through it shouldnt tear it too much. You could also look for a metal connoli roller or an apple correr and cut a hole from the center before sliding it over the dowel. As for the wood, try lowes or home depot, they have similar looking decorative pieces already made. I think near the crown molding and table hardware?

ajwonka Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:54am
post #5 of 5

Great tips! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%