Italian Rum Cake

Baking By Linda2896 Updated 17 May 2012 , 11:46pm by BakingIrene

Linda2896 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have a recipe for Italian rum cake?

6 replies
gbbaker Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 7

Are you looking for a sponge cake with cannoli filling or with pastry cream?

Debbye27 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 7

I've used this recipe:
http://www.food.com/recipe/italian-rum-cake-65363

It is a complicated recipe to make.....so many steps!

I ended up making it and determining it wouldn't work under the giant fondant cake I was making for a huge yankee stadium cake. So I adapted it by using a sponge cake recipe, chocolate SMBC and vanilla SMBC (instead of the custards). And I didn't water down my rum- I didn't think it was strong enough, so I just used straight rum with a little sugar.

If you're going for an authentic rum cake though, then this recipe will do....but the cake is too light for stacking and fondant.

janicedale Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 8:04am
post #4 of 7

Italian rum cake?? I wanna try this too since I didn't know this recipe but I will help you too since you are interesting for this so that we can share each others recipe. Would that be okay? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Linda2896 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 7

Janicedale that's fine.

Debbye27 thanks for the recipe. I will try that one. I wanted to stack the cakes so it will need to be strong enough enough to hold the tiers. However, the traditional recipe will be great for a regular layer cake.

Gbbaker, I'm not sure which filling is in the traditional rum cakes....I'm assuming it's custard.

socosweets Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 7

traditonally in my family we use a cannoli filling and its covered in a whipped cream usually with toasted shaved almonds on the outside of the cake

BakingIrene Posted 17 May 2012 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 7

To make this cake stackable, use ganache filling. Sprinkle generously with dark rum straight from the bottle. Chill it overnight after stacking and before carving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%