I Think I Have A Disaster On My Hands

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 4 Mar 2012 , 7:18am by scp1127

funtodecorate2 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 4:22am
post #1 of 7

UGH!. First time using IMBC. Have been getting help from another cake friend. She probably went to bed and I think I'm having serious problems. I had it in the fridge over night. Took it out this morning to come to room temp. started doing rosettes and it appears the water and butter are separating . It drips on my board what looks like water but I now butter is in it from the feel of it. I keep rotating it into the frig so it won't get too warm. My piping bag as well. When I pipe it drips and you can see the watery buttery stuff all over it.
What am I doing wrong ?
I finished the rosettes and put the cakes in frig. They have hardened up now but what is going to happen to them tomorrow when I take them out and they come to room temp ?

Any suggestions please.
I' m getting ready to whip up my reg buttercream to do my other cake because I'm almost out of frosting and don't have enough to finish so I have to do something.
Someone please help icon_cry.gif
thanks,
wendy

6 replies
costumeczar Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 4:41am
post #2 of 7

It has to be room temp, not cold, or it will break and separate, which sounds like what it's doing. You need to warm it up and stop putting it in the fridge. I did a video about broken buttercream if you have time to watch it.

funtodecorate2 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 5:02am
post #3 of 7

HI , I just watched your video. Thank you,
But the buttercream was fine yesterday when I put it in the frig to save for today. Took it out and then it started to separate when I tried to fill my bag. It had been at room temp all day and wasn't hard anymore.

I ended up trying to whip it after the first post and it looked kind of like your video for a bit. The bottom of my bowl was pretty wet and it just slid around.

what will happen tomorrow when it comes to room temp on my cakes?
thank you ,
Wendy

funtodecorate2 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 5:05am
post #4 of 7

By the way I used Warren Brown's recipe and watched his video 3 times before I attemped this.

Was a very nice consistency until I put it in the frig over night and then tried to use it.

costumeczar Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 5:12am
post #5 of 7

It's never the same after you take it out, it's best to use it right away if you're going to use it on the outside of a cake. For fillings etc it's not such a big deal, but it does lose some of the smooth consistency if it's cold then warm then cold and rewhipped.

It will probably be okay tomorrow IF you leave it alone and don't touch it. If it does start to weep some just take a paper towel and barely touch it to the icing to absorb the leakage. As long as you don't mess with it it will probably be okay.

Now I have to go to bed, so I'm sorry I can't answer anything else! Just wait until tomorrow and see, but don't try to mess with the icing that's already on the cake. If you do you'll probably make it separate if it's on the verge of doing that. If you leave it alone it will most likely be fine.

rosech Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 6:50am
post #6 of 7

I freeze and refrigerate mine all the time. Bring to room temp, whip it good. It will curdle. Whip some more until it's stable. You wont have any problems after that.

scp1127 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 7:18am
post #7 of 7

Thanks costumeczar. I thought it was just me. It is always the most perfect right when you make it. I do the same thing and save it for filling, macarons, or experiments, but never a covering for a cake. I don't even like it as well for pretty cupcakes.

I also only make exactly what I need. My leftovers are minimal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%