Buttercream Icing Melting Off Cake?

Decorating By ANDaniels Updated 3 Mar 2012 , 11:10pm by DeniseNH

ANDaniels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANDaniels Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 4

My butter cream icing seemed to melt off the last two cakes I have done... it hasn't been that warm in my house.... I use an all butter ABC... if I use a part Crisco will that help it to be more stable?

3 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 4

I would also like to know. I have never had this happen to me but if it does I would like to know how to fix it. Sometimes i have problems with my shortening based butterecream sticking to the cake but it's because the sugar/shortening ratio is off. just add a little water and that makes it sticky again. sorry i'm no help but maybe my comment can bump it up

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 4

All butter recipes will become soft and not stable faster than a recipe using shortening. The recipe I use has 1 1/2 cups shortening and 1/2 cup salted butter. Don't use Crisco go out and find either Hi ratio shortening or a store brand such as Walmart. Liquids don't mix well in Crisco making colors separate and leaving a grease slick on the roof of your mouth.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 4

I too had a terrible problem with my standard Crisco based buttercream for a cake class I conducted. When I got home I remembered that when the Crisco people changed their recipe to all vegetable based so many people complained and demanded a "fix" so they suggested adding a heaping tablespoon full of white flour to each batch. It does help. Crisco just isn't working for decorators anymore, need to get high ratio icing instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%