Help With Isomalt Sticks Pleeeease!

Decorating By cupncake1 Updated 6 Mar 2012 , 9:24am by soozicake

cupncake1 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 11

I want to make my daughter who's turning 15 a blinged out cake, so I bought the isomalt sticks and followed the directions melting them in the microwave till they were all bubbley, the problem was when I put them in the mold it was way too thick, none of them looked like jewls -just big blobs of candy lol, its there a trick to this?

10 replies
smallnmighty Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 11

I hope there are some answers, I just got my sticks in and am way excited to use them!!!!!

icer101 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 11

Hi, i have been to classes on making gems. I have not make them myself yet. What molds are you using, etc. (will this help?) You probably checked this out before you did it. First impressions gem mold would be great. I have a cheap sliicone mold(forgot i tried it) and my gems werent, pretty either. Maybe not defined enough?


http://www.cakeplay.com/Inspiration.html

icer101 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 11
cupncake1 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 11

plastic molds I found at the cake decorating store, the main problem seemed that it was so thick that I couldent get a small enough amount into any of the mold, even the bigger gems

cupncake1 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 11

plastic molds I found at the cake decorating store, the main problem seemed that it was so thick that I couldent get a small enough amount into any of the mold, even the bigger gems

cupncake1 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 11

plastic molds I found at the cake decorating store, the main problem seemed that it was so thick that I couldent get a small enough amount into any of the mold, even the bigger gems

AZCouture Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 11

Plastic? Like hard plastic? If so, those aren't for hot sugar. A craft store here had osomalt sticks for sale, and had thin little white plastic molds next to it insinuating they could be used for it....ummm, no.

cupncake1 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 11

Yeah, the lady from the store was even saying how beautuful they look when theyre done, dang, so I gues I have to find silicone iems when working with this stuff huh? It's usually pretty expensive icon_sad.gif

AZCouture Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 11

Nope, it's not cheap.

soozicake Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 9:24am
post #11 of 11

I bought clear plastic molds on-line (small gems) and tried with Isomalt. They are rated for candy and look like regular choc molds. The shapes were okay but I found the Isomalt cooled extremely quickly. Kinda put me off having another go. Check Pulled Sugar on You Tube, they use warming lamps in their work areas. I will try this next time I work up the courage to have another go. I also wondered if a warmed tray/slab underneath the mold would help to slow the cooling time and result in a better outcome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%