Covering Cake In Fondant

Decorating By readingnorma Updated 2 Mar 2012 , 2:57pm by cdgleason

readingnorma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
readingnorma Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 4

I am having issues covering cakes in fondant. Is there a trick or hints to not having the creases and having to cut the fondant to eliminate the crease? Can a cake be completely covered without having to "fix" creases? Does someone have a tutorial?

3 replies
CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 4

I elevate my cakes, than carefully work my way down the sides about 1" at a time. Once I've reached the bottom, I trim off my excess, than place the cake on my mat and finish smoothing.

klh82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klh82 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 4

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 4

there are tons of free tutorials on youtube, along with an infinite amount of tutorials for anything you could want to know/learn about cake decorating.
If you have a little money that you can 'invest', I bought a DVD by Jennifer Dontz that I think is the BEST thing I've ever done for myself to improve my skills.
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21878&name=The%20Easy%20&%20Tasty%20Way%20to%20Perfect%20Fondant%20DVD%20by%20Jennifer%20Dontz

Before I bought the DVD, I would panic at the thought of covering a cake in fondant because I couldn't figure out how to keep the fondant at very bottom of the cake from puckering and pleating and looking awful!
My first attempt to cover a cake after I bought the DVD was 100% better, and now, I can cover a cake without any worries, or lost sleep!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%