Bridgette1129 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 7:55pm
post #1 of

Just received my 12 count cupcake boxes and inserts from BRP Boxshop. I have tried a few different kinds of boxes (from local stores) and I do love how these boxes close the best. The tabs make it VERY secure. Wilton boxes are the easiest to put together but the most untrustworthy as far as security go.

But I must say that these boxes aren't very thick. I'm sure they are sturdy but I do wish they were a little more heavy. I have tried light pink boxes from a local store and they are very thick and study, but I am unsure where she buys them.

So long story short, these boxes are great and I am sure they are fine for cupcakes but if the cake boxes are just as thin, I don't know how I'd feel about them...

Does anyone else feel this way? Or do you use BRP for cake boxes and find that they work great?

16 replies
elliespartycake Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 8:05pm
post #2 of

I think the cake boxes are fine since you have your cake on a sturdy cake drum or board. For cakes though I often go with the plastic cake domes available from Plastic Container City.
If you think the 12 pk cup cake boxes aren't sturdy enough, just add an appropriately sized sheet cake board in the bottom. Should make it much stronger.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 8:30pm
post #3 of

We get all of our boxes from BRP, and we love them. We get the natural brown ones just because we like the look of them (not sure if there is any difference in the thickness between the brown and the other colors). We put cakes in them all the time and have never had a problem.

Bridgette1129 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 8:41pm
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615

We get all of our boxes from BRP, and we love them. We get the natural brown ones just because we like the look of them (not sure if there is any difference in the thickness between the brown and the other colors). We put cakes in them all the time and have never had a problem.




Thanks! I was considering the brown but got hot pink icon_wink.gif But it is true that it doesn't matter too much about thickness because there will be support for cakes.

Also, I have had trouble with cupcake boxes previously because the insert is warped or moves and comes up too high on my cupcake and pull the frosting off. Has anyone else had this problem? Hopefully these boxes don't do it!

cylstrial Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 8:53pm
post #5 of

you could order plastic cupcake holders. you don't have to buy an insert and they are more sturdy. plus, it looks nicer. i order from cuptainers.com

but i get my boxes from brp.

Bridgette1129 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 12:10am
post #6 of

Also wanted to point out that I am on the West Coast and I ordered them on the 22nd and got them yesterday (had to pick up from different shipping address today). So it only took a week from order to delivery! Awesome thumbs_up.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 12:18am
post #7 of

I use natural brown boxes for my cuppies as well. They work great! Depending on what cupcake liner I use sometimes the inserts do come a little high. In those cases I just put the right size cake board in the bottom, and it raises them just enough not to have problems.

Bridgette1129 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 1:46am
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles1727

I use natural brown boxes for my cuppies as well. They work great! Depending on what cupcake liner I use sometimes the inserts do come a little high. In those cases I just put the right size cake board in the bottom, and it raises them just enough not to have problems.




That's a good idea. I hate to buy boards just for that purpose though.

scp1127 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 7:36am
post #9 of

I use the hot pink also and they are the thickest I have seen. The ones in Michaels, othe bakeries, and the local cake supply store are much thinner.

They are also waterproof.

For cupcakes, I use the liners unless I am packing them for a school function for my daughter. I then use a Wilton board. ll akes are on a round board.

I hope they didn't change them.

Bridgette1129 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 3:56pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I use the hot pink also and they are the thickest I have seen. The ones in Michaels, othe bakeries, and the local cake supply store are much thinner.

They are also waterproof.

For cupcakes, I use the liners unless I am packing them for a school function for my daughter. I then use a Wilton board. ll akes are on a round board.

I hope they didn't change them.




They honestly don't seem much thicker than wilton's. I can tell they ARE thicker but I think since I have had thicker, these just feel thin. I'm sure if I get another Wilton box, these will be completely better.

But now I'm curious where this place that sells them here gets them.

Confectionery416 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 4:59pm

Hi! I have used BRP for the past year of opening my business and I like them for a couple of reasons

1) Cost - per piece, they are a very good cost, especially if you order them in 100 qty boxes

2) Free Shipping - I just received an order today that was about 96lbs with FREE shipping. Nice.

3) Variety - I offer a full menu of sizes, from cakes to cupcakes and these have not failed me yet. A tip for traveling with a dozen cupcakes or minis is to add a flat quarter sheet board as the base so the bottom is sturdy. I do this for all cupcake orders that are a dozen or more (and also use the holders).

I use the eco-friendly brown boxes and love the look with the window on the top. I would love to try the pink or blue ones, but they are a lot more expensive. The one part I don't care for is that if any grease touches these, it will show it immediately. That's because they are not coated or grease proof. I've worked around this by simply putting all the boxes together prior to baking/decorating so my hands are clean.

Good luck!
Laura

Bridgette1129 Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 1:15am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confectionery416

Hi! I have used BRP for the past year of opening my business and I like them for a couple of reasons

1) Cost - per piece, they are a very good cost, especially if you order them in 100 qty boxes

2) Free Shipping - I just received an order today that was about 96lbs with FREE shipping. Nice.

3) Variety - I offer a full menu of sizes, from cakes to cupcakes and these have not failed me yet. A tip for traveling with a dozen cupcakes or minis is to add a flat quarter sheet board as the base so the bottom is sturdy. I do this for all cupcake orders that are a dozen or more (and also use the holders).

I use the eco-friendly brown boxes and love the look with the window on the top. I would love to try the pink or blue ones, but they are a lot more expensive. The one part I don't care for is that if any grease touches these, it will show it immediately. That's because they are not coated or grease proof. I've worked around this by simply putting all the boxes together prior to baking/decorating so my hands are clean.

Good luck!
Laura





Thank you!!

scp1127 Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 2:15am

Confectionery, the pink ones are greaseproof. I just build the price of the box and the board right in as if it was more flour and sugar. That way, I have the packaging covered as an ingredient.

Bridgette1129 Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 2:37am
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Confectionery, the pink ones are greaseproof. I just build the price of the box and the board right in as if it was more flour and sugar. That way, I have the packaging covered as an ingredient.




Yeah, I need to do this and get the 1/4 sheet boards.

dmorefield Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 1:49pm

I just received my order of cupcake boxes. I ordered the 1/2 doz. box. They seem to be thick enough. I don't think I would be happy with them if I were using them to hold 12 cupcakes or to put a good sized cake. I went back on theire site to see if I could find some shipping containers but couldn't find any.

I've been looking for a commercial kitchen that I can rent daily to start a mobile cupcakery but still haven't found one.  My city won't allow you to have a bakery business in your home even though Georgia passed it's cottage law.  How did you end up getting your kitchen? I checked some prices at our local commercial kitchen suppy co. and he was trying to tell me I would need equipment that I wouldn't even use in my kitchen. I've been looking on line to see exactly what type of equipment I would need if I'm only doing cupcakes.

TheSugarLab Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 4:27pm

I love BRP!!!! In terms of the liners being too tall, I got the stumpy inserts and haven't had any problem since. My customers absolutely love the look of the boxes. For cakes, I've been purchasing the white ones. The white ones seem sturdier than the chocolate browns ones I use for a dozen cupcakes. 

havealittle Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 2:08am

I just received an order from Bake a Box www.bakeabox.com, I used them for a recent festival this weekend. They looked nice and were sturdy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%