Help With Supplies

Decorating By sweetmelodee Updated 3 Mar 2012 , 5:58am by krumbledkakes

sweetmelodee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmelodee Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 9

Hello!
I am slightly new to the cake decorating community and have just been "winging" it i guess you could say from the pans and supplies I have in my kitchen...very basic and minimal.
I was wondering if any of you could tell me what I need in my kitchen, things you all have or just love and couldn't live with out.
I am just starting and would eventually like to make a business out of it but for now I decided I just need to get back to the basics in order to make anything happen in the future.
So pan sizes, tools, recipes, any tips you have would be so wonderful!
Thanks in advance!

(I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong form)

8 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 9

i think first and foremost would be round and square pan sets ... and several offset spatulas in different sizes. don't cheap out on these because they'll be with you for years to come!

sing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sing Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 9

A oven thermometer, a timer, and I would get at least two of each pan size that I would use most often.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 9

I couldn't live without my sets of square and round 2" pans. My bench scraper for smoothing buttercream, my kitchen-aid for mixing, and The Mat for rolling out my fondant. Those are the basic items I use when I make every cake. I have an Agbay for leveling and it's WONDERFUL, but you can start out with any good, sturdy cake leveler. Another new " extra" I have been using a lot is a clay extruder. Inexpensive but helps me add some excellent details.
For recipes I use the WASC recipe that is on my blog, it's very popular and I'll be posting my chocolate cake recipe soon. I also have a few filling recipes on there that are tried and true.
I try to keep things very simple, you don't need a lot to get started.

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 9

I think my absolute favorite thing is my Fat Daddio mat. The ONLY thing I've found that sticks to it for some reason is Fondarific's fondant. Wilton and Satin Ice do not stick at all. I don't have to powder it or anything either. Except for Fondarific, that's kinda weird.

Let's see... For pans, I probably use my 6 and 10" x 2s the most.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 9

Buy two sets of pans in the sizes you use the most! This saves so much time an do the same with tips. I have 3-4 same size tips. My KA mixer (you dont have to run out and get one of these right away...took me 3 years to get one.). Americolor gel paste. Fondant cutters; circle, square, heart. I use the Wilton ones and they work great for me. Plastic containers! Trust me. When you make more butter cream than what you actually needed you DONT want to throw it away. Most of the recipes on CC store well.

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 9

COUPONS from Michael's, Joann, etc. I started on this voyage in June,2011 and have bought a lot of things since then mostly with coupons. I have 2 each of the 6,8,10 &12" Wilton round pans. I also bought a couple heart pans and a pair of 8x8"ers. I bought everything that I thought I needed and don't use most of it to date icon_smile.gif I use the 8" & 10" pans the most and would say for you to buy them first. The PPers have covered just about everything else.

I am using a hand mixer that I had before starting cake dec. It took me thru all 3 Wilton classes and is still going strong. It has a 300 watt motor and stood up to RI without a whimper. When you buy one, buy the most WATTS that you can afford. They don't make my mixer anymore unfortunately. I've been looking for a backup for it with no luck. I don't have room for a stand mixer but will eventually buy one. HTH

sweetmelodee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmelodee Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 9

You guys are awesome thanks for all of your help!
Fortunatly I do have a KA which is about the only thing I have going for me javascript:emoticon('icon_biggrin.gif')
I will be on the look out for everthing
thanks again!

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 5:58am
post #9 of 9

For me it would be:
turntable
Bowls (can never have enough in all sizes)
my personal craft table (bought for $20 at walmart) so I don't have to stand at the counter while decorating
Plastic gloves ( hygiene and I wont stain my fingers while flooring fondant)
Toothpicks
Small rolling pin

Everything else has pretty much been listed but these are the things I use every time I'm making a cake, regardless of how decorated they are.

Good luck and have fun shopping for your supplies, its always fun

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%