Carrot Cake

Decorating By CakesbyLisa21 Updated 11 Apr 2012 , 6:59am by scp1127

CakesbyLisa21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyLisa21 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 11:31am
post #1 of 8

I have to make a carrot cake wedding cake. How do I make a cream cheese icinig that will not have to be refridgerated and will last for several days?

7 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 11:40am
post #2 of 8

All cream cheese icing has to be refrigerated. If it's something for home use I will leave it out, but for a wedding cake you definitely need to inform the client of safe food handling practices.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 8

Check Earlene's website for a recipe. (Just don't use her servings chart)

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with Annie, and so will your HD. We are not qualified to make a scientific study to determine the answer to the moisture/sugar/dairy equation in a particular recipe. That is why HD's have standards. Not adhering to those standards puts you in a position for liability. A cake isn't worth that, especially if you are not insured.

I personally do not come to CC or any other site that is not official to get my food safety information. You can find your answers on the.gov sites as well as the dairy board. But your HD standards, although they may be somewhat strict, is where you will keep yourself safe from liability.

For example, I made Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes with cream cheese buttercream last night. The extras are in my garage at about 50 degrees. They are perfect for grabbing one when you feel like eating it. But I told my client not to have them out for long and to refrigerate the extras. I told her she could get one out when she wanted it, leave it out for a 1/2 hour and it will be perfect for eating. Now the client will most likely do the same thing as I did and keep it in a cool place. But at least I passed on the correct storage method as described in food safety courses. I am free of liability in that matter.

jasamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jasamy Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 8

I only do cakes as a hobby; I have not taken any food safety courses, so pardon my naivety; why is there a difference in storage between standard buttercream and cream cheese buttercream? The ingredients in butter and cream cheese are essentially the same...
Thanks

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 12:11am
post #6 of 8

Lorann makes a cream cheese flavoring and a cheesecake flavoring. I prefer the cheesecake flavoring. I use it in my regular buttercream when I need a cream cheese flavored icing.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 12:38am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasamy

I only do cakes as a hobby; I have not taken any food safety courses, so pardon my naivety; why is there a difference in storage between standard buttercream and cream cheese buttercream? The ingredients in butter and cream cheese are essentially the same...
Thanks

... except the cream cheese...

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 6:59am
post #8 of 8

Butter can be left out at room temp for longer than the food safety requirement of four hours, then discard, for a perishable, as cream cheese is considered.

You can refer to the dairy board or any .gov site for the last word on food safety for dairy products. I

t's just the growth rate of organisms in each individual product, retarded by the sugar, increased by the moisture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%