Marzipan Then Fondant - But When?

Decorating By jojo99 Updated 1 Mar 2012 , 12:31am by AnnieCahill

jojo99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo99 Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 4

I'm a new member looking for advice........

I've baked 3 fruit cakes for my daughters wedding at the end of March.

I'm not sure at what stage I should marzipan or fondant ice the cakes. Is there a general waiting time between doing the marzipan and adding the fondant and how much before the wedding should I do the icing?

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before icon_sad.gif

3 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 4

Hi jojo,

First, welcome! I am not in the UK but I have several UK cake books. I just took a look at a Mich Turner book and she doesn't have any recommendations about when to cover. She does mention that the fondant should be applied at least one day before the final decoration so the surface is nice and firm. You would probably be safe to do this several days before the wedding. Marzipan stays fresh for a very long time even at room temperature so I don't think you will have any problems there. I would just make sure if you cover with marzipan that you also keep it in a box or wrap it so it doesn't dry out the marzipan too much.

Hope this helps.

Annie

jojo99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo99 Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your reply and the welcome Annie icon_smile.gif

I've searched and searched but couldn't find any advice on how to time things properly.

I've got the cakes covered with greaseproof paper and in air-tight boxes and have been feeding them whiskey once a week.

As I'm off work on Monday I was thinking of doing the marzipan but as that's more than 3 weeks before the wedding I'm thinking that's too soon?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 12:31am
post #4 of 4

I honestly don't know. icon_redface.gif But we can wait and see if any of our other UK or Australian friends chime in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%