Freezing Decorated Cakes

Decorating By coachjrob Updated 2 Mar 2012 , 1:41am by nacknack

coachjrob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coachjrob Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 13

Can you freeze a decorated cake with a fruit filling? If so, how long after it thaws does it need to be eaten? Thanks!!! Jamie icon_lol.gif

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 1:03am
post #2 of 13

What icing? Generally yes, but most people don't recommend fzing fondant covered cakes.
As to how long it will take to thaw, that depends on the size of the cake = the bigger the longer but generally about 3 or 4 hours.

coachjrob Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 2:00am
post #3 of 13

Kakeladi thank you so much for your help! It will be a chocolate buttercream....no fondant. After it thaws can I wait a few days until I serve it? I have to travel with this cake for a wedding shower in my home state. I want to make my cake at my house and freeze it then just bring it with me so I don't have to bake and decorate "on the road". I will be leaving on Thursday but won't be serving the cake until Sunday afternoon. Will it be ok in the fridge until then (I'm sure it will thaw in the car on the car ride)? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 2:25am
post #4 of 13

How long is the car ride?, I'm concerned that with the heat in the car and the fruit filling, even initially frozen, it may effect the quality of the filling.

coachjrob Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 3:49am
post #5 of 13

It's 6-7 hours depending on how many times we have to stop for my little girl. I planned on putting it in a cooler with ice packes. Will this help? If not, any suggestions?

pinnodeanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinnodeanna Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 13

I know you can freeze a decorated cake but I have the same scenario coming up in June...could you let me know how things go I personally think it will be ok just put in fridge when you get to your destination

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 13

It should be ok with the ice packs, let us know how it goes, good luck

cmeventcoordinator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmeventcoordinator Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 13

In my experience, cakes with strawberrys tend to take longer to thaw. I did a cake last summer for a client that I froze ahead of time, because she was going to be driving it in the car for 3 hours without a cooler (was a 3 tier cake). She said that they still didn't eat the cake for a few hours, so it had been 6+ hours before they atarted to cut. The tier with the strawberries was STILL partially frozen. If I remember sorrectly iit was a 10 or 12 inch round. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

coachjrob Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 13

thank you all sooooo very much for all the advice! I will let you all know how it goes when I get back in town on Mrach 12th. icon_biggrin.gif

karmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmarie Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 10:00pm
post #10 of 13

I have actually frozen cakes covered in fondant and they come out as perfect and fresh as when they were originally done. My only hitch was that the cake went to a very hot, humid place and it sweated. I have driven with cakes 3-4 hours, although the heat was kept off in the vehicle. I boxed it up and put it in a cooler.

cmeventcoordinator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmeventcoordinator Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 13

You'll get some sweating regardless of buttercream or fondant. Trick is to let it get finished sweating before putting it out for display.

karmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmarie Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 13

Good to know. I found putting in the fridge for a couple days to thaw works well!

nacknack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nacknack Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 1:41am
post #13 of 13

You can also pack the cake is a larger box/cooler with dry ice. That usually will keep it frozen for the 6-7 hour ride.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%