Can I Mix Pumpkin Puree With Smbc?

Baking By luckyblueeye Updated 2 Mar 2012 , 9:09am by scp1127

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 9

I'm thinking about making a wasc spice cake today (without almond) and would like to use smbc as the filling. Can I add pumpkin into that (maybe a 1/4 C into 5 sticks of butter recipe)? Will it still hold under fondant? I'm also going to add some cinnamon/ginger...and maybe cloves in the BC. Any ideas for other kinds of smbc for spice cake?

8 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 9

Pumpkin makes the cake extra moist. You might want to replace the sour cream with the pumpkin. I'm not amazing with the science behind the cake so you might want to wait for another response. But if I was experimenting thats what I would try.

luckyblueeye Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks, but I'm actually just wondering about mixing pumpkin with smbc, not the cake itself. Has anyone tried it?

pummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pummy Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 9

I would just take a spoonful of the SMBC and pumpkin puree and try it. This way if it does work out you won't eat the whole bowl yourself and if it doesn't work out you won't waste your ingredients.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyblueeye

Thanks, but I'm actually just wondering about mixing pumpkin with smbc, not the cake itself. Has anyone tried it?

Totally read that wrong!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 11:12am
post #6 of 9

You should have no problem. In IMBC, I can add one tbsp of liqueur for every stick of butter. Pumpkin is semi solid. In my recipe, I think my SMBC is slightly less sturdy, so maybe 3/4 tbsp per stick.

Pumpkin is rather bitter. If it needs sweetening more than the buttercream adds, consider adding a sweetener to the pumpkin before you add it.

luckyblueeye Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you! I will give the pumpkin a try next time....I chickened out and made it into a mocha BC in stead and added some espresso in the cake batter too...kids and husband went crazy over the cake icon_biggrin.gif

mplaidgirl2 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 9

I LOVE pumpkin cake. Its my #1 fav!

This is the one I make.. Its too soft to cover in fondant and stack so I use it for cupcakes or a single stacked cake.

Pumpkin Cake W/Caramel Cider Sauce

1 1/2 - cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 - cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 - tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 - tsp. baking soda
1/2 - teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
3/4 - cup oil
1 -15 oz can pumpkin
2 - eggs

(I use 3 tsp of pumpkin pie spice if I have it on hand instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg seperate)

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add oil, pumpkin and eggs. Whisk or use and electric mixer until blended. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.

This is the sauce I made with it... No frosting needed!
If its cupcakes I core just a little bit of the center. Pour this in and glaze the tops.... It its a cake I pour (sloppily) between the layers and drizzle all over the top

Caramel Cider Sauce

1/2 - cup brown sugar
1 - tablespoon cornstarch
2/3 - cup apple cider
2 - tablespoon heavy cream
1 - tablespoon butter (not margarine)
salt to taste

In a saucepan, whisk brown sugar and cornstarch. Add cider and stir in the cream, butter and salt. Cook over med-hi heat, whisking constantly, until large bubbles form around the edge of the saucepan, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and allow to thicken, about 2 minutes. Top with vanilla ice cream if you want and drizzle sauce over it.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 9:09am
post #9 of 9

I have a cider sauce for one of my apple cakes. I'm sure it is good on pumpkin. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%