Having "one Of Those" Fondant Days....

Decorating By HappyCake10609 Updated 29 Feb 2012 , 3:04am by sing

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 5

So, I've been invited to make a display cake for an intimate bridal show this weekend (there will be 5 of us vendors and I'm the only cake person)... This whole thing is just frustrating me... I was asked by an event designer that is a friend of my friend's, and she wants to use my cake as a display on her dessert table. I'm not thrilled with the direction she would like me to go, she did not sound thrilled with my initial idea... oh well, she's the "client" and I'll do what she wants...

So, my issues with the design aside (I'm just frustrated with that too, lol!) I am having so much trouble with my fondant today! One of the things I pride myself on, and one of the most frequent comments I get, is how smooth/flawless my fondant is. But it's just not working for me today! Part if it is because I'm working with cake dummies and they are hard to smooth against because they just fly across the table! I covered my 8" x 6" tall tier no problem... by my little 6" x 5" is giving me fits! I've had to pull the fondant off so many times because it kept tearing at the top edge!

So now, I think I must have over worked the fondant because it just keeps tearing all over! And of course it's a custom color, that is supposed to match the tier under it, and I'm working with the last I have of that color!

I am beyond frustrated! This is my first bridal show and the dummy cake is going to be the centerpiece of the dessert table! I want this to be the best representation of my skills and THIS is the day I'm having soooo much trouble!

So, I've walked away to let the fondant "rest" and to vent to some fellow cakers.... does anyone think this batch of fondant is salvageable... or do I just need to scrap it and do my best to match the color with some additional fondant? (I am using Satin Ice and rollling it out on the Mat, so I haven't added any PS or shortening to it beyond what came off the dummy). I have a feeling I know the answer, lol... just not one I'm thrilled about!

4 replies
mallorymaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mallorymaid Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 12:12am
post #2 of 5

When I am working with styrofoam dummies I always use some fine sand paper and sand the top edge to smooth it so the edge isn't sharp, this helps to eliminate/minimize the tearing that can happen with the fondant. Maybe try adding some shortening to the fondant , Good luck I hope taking a break helps, i know it works for me when i am getting frustrated with a project.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 12:23am
post #3 of 5

You were right to walk away for a while. I place my dummies on skid-proof pads. I also smash the corners into my counter to round them off - and if the fondant you're working with gets too stiff, microwave it for short bursts - if it's too soft, add more powdered sugar - if it's too brittle, add more crisco. If it's too warm when you roll it out, roll, then let it rest for a while before placing on the dummy. All the best to you.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 2:22am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the advice! I do smash the top corners a bit to make them not so sharp... I think the fondant was just getting to be too soft and stretching to fast before I could pull the Mat off and adhered the fondant!

After walking away for a half hour, I went back and was able to get it covered "the old fashioned way"... rolling on powdered sugar, lol... Not as flawless as I would like but the decoration I have planned should hide the minor imperfections... I'm just gonna go with it!

sing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sing Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 3:04am
post #5 of 5

I've had those days too and if the fondant gets so overworked where it's no longer smooth when kneading it, it's basically beyond repair.

After having a couple of "those days" I just learned to start over with fresh fondant then to continue with fondant that will keep tearing and cracking. This helps keeps me sane lol...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%