How To Make My Own Mold For A Lego?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 7:05pm by kisamarie

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 6

Hi I was just wondering if there is any way to make a food grade mold with supplies bought at walmart? I am limited on stores in my area. Or where the best place to buy stuff to make molds is? I have an order for a lego cake with short notice. If I don't get the mold supplies on time I will make them by hand, but would like to start making my own molds also. Any tips or advice on this would be great!
Thanks
Kiley

5 replies
kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know if you have a Hobby lobby, but I just got a food grade mold making kit for $20 there that might work for you, its near all of the clay sculpey materials. Amazing Mold Putty

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 6

I just got Amazing Mold Putty, too, haven't tried it yet- bought it for sugar bottles - but I have a lego cake for this weekend and never thought to use it for that- great idea! You can always order online, I got mine from Michaels, but I usually order a lot of stuff online from Amazon to save myself the trips!

kisamarie Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 6

Sugar Bottles! Oh my gosh, can I ask if you have had training or are self taught? I have always wanted to try sugar work but I am leary since I dont have the professional training and it looks scary, lol. Do you use Isomalt? I really want to learn!

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 6

I have zero professional training, lol. I have only been doing this stuff for 4 months and want to try everything!! I actually didn't get amazing mold putty, I got mold builder instead (I googled mold builder- and now I want it!). I saw a youtube tutorial on how to make your own sugar bottles with mold builder- it doesn't look that hard at all- just takes a few days for it to dry between applications. She also showed how to make the bottles... I did get isomalt and a candy thermometer... am slightly nervous about trying it, but the directions seem easy enough! This whole caking hobby is a giant trial and error thing though! I learn everything from cake central and youtube....

kisamarie Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 6

Lol that's good to know, I'll have to watch that video. Sorry to hijack your thread kitty! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%