Debbye27 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:26pm
post #1 of

I tried to make mocha cupcakes from scratch yesterday and failed. The recipe called for strong brewed coffee and I added it (even sligtly more then asked for) and I can barely tell the difference between my chocolate and mocha cupcakes-there is no coffee taste at all!! I don't want to have to experiment with a new recipe tonight when I'm short on time....so was wondering how to save.

I can make a mocha buttercream and fill them.....but I'd rather not. I planned on covering and decorating with ganache....is there a way to make the ganache very mocha-ey? If I add coffee to it maybe? or disolve espresso powder in the cream? and would that be enough, or should I just fill them with mocha buttercream instead and top with ganache?

All help is appreciated icon_wink.gif

5 replies
Debbye27 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:38pm
post #2 of

bumpety bump bump...... mocha in ganache??

sillywabbitz Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:01pm
post #3 of

To me to get a mocha flavor, I would want to start with a white cake and add choc and coffee to it so one doesn't dominate the other. Or find a recipe for a coffee flavored cake and frost in ganache and call it mochaicon_smile.gif

To answer your question regarding the ganache, yes disolve the instant coffee into the cream but I my guess is you'll find the choc will still overpower the coffee flavor. You just don't have enough coffee flavor to over come that much chocolate.

KoryAK Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:05pm
post #4 of

You'll need a lot of it, but yes you can add coffee to ganache.

Debbye27 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:43pm
post #5 of

sigh.....thanks for the tips...I guess the best thing will be to remake them tonight... I will use my vanilla cake and I guess instead of 1 cup of milk, I will sup 1/3cup of coffee and maybe disolve 1 tbsp of espresso powder to it....

Do you think that will work? More or less?? These cupcakes are going to someone who is extremely important to me and I really want them to be perfect...

Debbye27 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 12:52am
post #6 of

sillywabbitz!!!! I made my vanilla recipe and subbed 1/3 cup of milk for coffee, added a little espresso powder...and it was amazing!!! So delicious- thanks sooooo much for the tip! I am so glad I remade them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%