How To Attach Ribbon To The Sides Of Cakeboard?

Decorating By JazzyBaker Updated 1 Apr 2014 , 5:43pm by CupcakeK8

JazzyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JazzyBaker Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:46am
post #1 of 23

Hi all!!

i'm covering a cakeboard with fondant and would like to cover the sides of the board with some pretty ribbon? any suggestions on what's the best method??

I read somewhere that I could use "double sided tape" on the ribbon, but is that really enough? Will the tape stick to the fabric ribbon??

Thanks in advance!!

22 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 11:54am
post #2 of 23

Just use a glue stick, we call them Pritt Stick in the UK. Hope you know what I mean!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 11:54am
post #3 of 23

Yeah a glue stick or craft glue. I use the foil covered drums and the ribbon adheres perfectly.

Annie

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 23

I use Zots (glue dots found in the scrapbooking section).

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 23

I sometimes use a hot glue gun but I've used double sided tape many times and it's always worked fine.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 23

I use Tacky Glue.

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 23

Hot Glue from a low temp glue gun. Ive tried those zots, but theyre kind of fickle, and they leave a bump, I must not be using them right. lol

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 23

I second the double stick tape. I use it exclusively and have gotten many compliments from judges (at cake competitions) about the ribbon on the edge of my cake drums.

~Chelle

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 23

I've used them all. Glue dots, hot glue, and double sided tape. They all work. It just depends on the type of ribbon I'm using as to which method I use. The easiest is the double sided tape.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 23

Hot glue.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 10:15pm
post #11 of 23

Hot glue.

JazzyBaker Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 23

Thanks so much for your great responses everyone!!!! icon_smile.gif

I went ahead and used the double side tape and it worked great! Though I'm not too happy about the fact that the sides on the foil covered drum aren't perfectly smooth, hence the ribbon doesn't look totally smotth, see what I mean in the picture:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2278800/chocolate-paw-print

Thanks again for your help, you're life savers as usual!!! icon_smile.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisamarie

Hot Glue from a low temp glue gun. Ive tried those zots, but theyre kind of fickle, and they leave a bump, I must not be using them right. lol

There are 2 kinds of Zots, thick and thin. I buy the thinnist ones. If the dot is too big for board/ribbon, just cut it in half while still covered on both sides with the backing. They can leave a bump, I usually attach some dots around the edge then run the ribbon around, not pressing too hard so it sticks but doesn't get bumpy.

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 5:36pm
post #14 of 23

To get the sides of your cake board smoother just press them against a hard surface. It will make it look much better.

JazzyBaker Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 6:04pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKC

To get the sides of your cake board smoother just press them against a hard surface. It will make it look much better.

Great idea!! Thanks MKC I'll try it next time! icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 8:03pm
post #16 of 23

I generally pin it on using decorative pins. I can pull the ribbon taut, pin, pull, pin, and then fold in the cut ends and double pin those.

Rae

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 11:27pm
post #17 of 23

I buy cake drums with a perfectly smooth edge. They are hard as rocks but light as a feather, and have no bend or flexibility whatsoever. Unfortunately, the only place I have ever found them online is from the big bad cake supply store "whch shall not be named". But I am more or less spoiled by those drums, and addicted.

AZCouture Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 11:28pm
post #18 of 23

They are foil covered, but the edge has a strip of thick paper wrapped around, so there is zero folding/pleating/bumpiness that you get with most drums.

JazzyBaker Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 7:29am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I generally pin it on using decorative pins. I can pull the ribbon taut, pin, pull, pin, and then fold in the cut ends and double pin those.

Rae

Thanks for your reply Rae!! but I'm a little confused, does this mean that you use the pins as part of the actual decoration? or are they hidden somehow??

JazzyBaker Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 7:35am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

I buy cake drums with a perfectly smooth edge. They are hard as rocks but light as a feather, and have no bend or flexibility whatsoever. Unfortunately, the only place I have ever found them online is from the big bad cake supply store "whch shall not be named". But I am more or less spoiled by those drums, and addicted.

Oh!!! Those drums sound perfect!! Can you please, please tell me the name of the "big bad cake supply store which shall not be named"??? pm me if it'd make things easier for you icon_wink.gif

Thanks!!!!!!!!

AZCouture Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 2:43pm
post #21 of 23

10-4 icon_wink.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 4:30pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Rae

Thanks for your reply Rae!! but I'm a little confused, does this mean that you use the pins as part of the actual decoration? or are they hidden somehow??

If my crystal, colored, or pearl headed pins fit into the deco, I use them to enhance it. If it needs to be more subtle, I use tiny headed silver or gold pins.

Rae

CupcakeK8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeK8 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 5:43pm
post #23 of 23

I've just come across this post, have you tried just using a pin? I find this works best for me, just pull the ribbon really tight and then slide a pin in at the back. This was you have no mess of glue or tape. You might also be interested in this new site I've come across, I couldn't live without it now, it's called www.bakingit.com. I use to help calculate how much ribbon I will need for a large cake, that way I don't over buy like I usually do. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%