How Do I Do This Vertical Ruffle Technique??

Decorating By cwelling Updated 11 Apr 2013 , 1:22pm by Stitches

cwelling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwelling Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:11am
post #1 of 11

Hello All,

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to duplicate these vertical ruffles and I'm just not getting the same look...any advice?

What piping tip would you suggest? (I'm assuming it is buttercream...is that correct?) How do I get the pretty ruffled edge on the right but still have a neat and straight edge on the left? What consistency would be best? Any recipe suggestions for getting a super creamy icing that is able to stick to the cake and is still able to hold it's shape well? I'm still new at all of this so obviously I'm trying to cover all my bases here as I'm trying to figure out what I'm just not quite getting right about this technique.

Thanks for your help!

I couldn't get it to attach, so here is the address to a website with the photo... http://500daysofweddings.tumblr.com/post/6894333713

10 replies
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:22am
post #2 of 11

Could be buttercream, could be fondant. If buttercream, I would guess a rose tip...one side piped straight on, the other side "ruffled" with the fat end of the tip on the inside, the thin edge making the ruffle. Not sure what size rose tip you would use. I guess it might depend on what size you want the ruffle. If out of fondant, just cut strips and ruffle one side (make sure you cut wide enough) and leave the other side flat. You can then do whatever decorative border down the center of each "ribbon". That's my take on it! Hope it helps!

theicedqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theicedqueen Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 9:19am
post #3 of 11

I'm pretty sure the sides were piped with a large leaf tip held vertically using an up-and-down ruffling motion. I wish the top was totally in focusthe top looks more like a large rose tip. I think a medium consistency buttercream would hold up fine; maybe a bit stiffer. Good luck!

theicedqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theicedqueen Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 9:22am
post #4 of 11

OK; I just gave it a closer look. I still think the sides were done with a large leaf tip, but I think that maybe they were overpiped with a tip #1 or #2 in a squiggly line down the center of each ruffle. It's a really cute cake; this technique is inspiring!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 11

You can use a rose tip or there are flat straight tips as well. I honestly just think it's a rose tip and then a tip 2 squiggle was applied down the edge touching the cake.

annie

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwelling

What piping tip would you suggest? (I'm assuming it is buttercream...is that correct?) How do I get the pretty ruffled edge on the right but still have a neat and straight edge on the left?

It is buttercream. It's a two-part "ruffle" with an overpiped squiggly hiding the seam where both parts meet. Both parts are piped with any rose petal tip (#101#127 depending on what size you like), flat for one side and ruffled for the other. (It isn't a leaf tip because it would ruffle on both sides of the leaf tip seam at the same time.)

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 11

I would suggest looking in a Wilton Yearbook (either at Michael's or Joann's) in their product section where they show pictures of their different tips and the effects they produce to find the tip you're looking for, or... on Wilton's website? OR take the pic to a cake decorating supply shop and ask them?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 11

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5gszWxCIV1s/UQGjpJLNkTI/AAAAAAAAHkQ/COCeHXchanM/s1600/rufflecake.jpg

This cake looks similar, I am trying to research how to make it to.  I think this was done in one swoop, the ruffle on each side and the line down the center...I believe it was made with one motion.  Now to figure out what tip was used! lol

KHalstead Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:03pm
post #9 of 11

http://theicedqueen.blogspot.com/2012/04/piping-with-leaf-tips.html

this person ^ shows some piping done with a leaf tip and you can see that line in the center!!

KHalstead Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 11

It's a leaf tip!!!  It's gotta be!  Scroll down on this page and look at the photo showing the different designs with a leaf tip, the one looks JUST like the ruffles.

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/cake-decorating-tips-guide.html

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:22pm
post #11 of 11

The first cake shown is piped differently (with different tips) then the second and third cakes posted. Unlimited correctly described how the first cake was done. You can't get that look with a leaf tip.

The second and third cakes are done with a leaf tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%