Sugarpaste Sharp Edges And Keeping Shapes In Shape!

Decorating By chasingmytail Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 5:57pm by Marianna46

chasingmytail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasingmytail Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 4

Basic stuff really. How do you cut rolled sugarpaste assume with sharp knife and what? And so many cakes now use circles, stripes etc. It looks simple but in the past when I have lifted these shapes up they stretch and by the time I stick them on its all getting out of sync! Perhaps the thickness is wrong and should I be leaving them to dry overnight? There must be tips but books gloss over this basic stuff.

I have a birthday cake to do at end of April and one layer I want to do coloured stripes.

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:49am
post #2 of 4

Your fondant may be too soft. I usually work a little bit of vegetable shortening, some extra powdered sugar and even a little tylose powder into mine before I use it. You don't need to let it dry overnight - you run the risk of having it dry out too much if you do - but you could certainly leave it for a half hour or so after rolling and cutting and before moving the shapes. If I'm not using a cutter, I generally cut with a pastry wheel (a larger one, maybe 5cm for straighter sections and one of those tiny cutters that have the stitching wheel on the other end for more detailed work). If you use something like this, rather than a knife, you'll run less chance of pulling the fondant along with the blade as you go. I also roll my fondant out on a liberal sprinkling of cornstarch, so that it won't stick when I go to lift it. Hope that helps somewhat!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:40am
post #3 of 4

Also, if your edge doesn't look nice and smooth when you're done, you can rub your finger or a little brush against the edge to smooth it.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 4

Good idea, Texas_Sugar!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%