Needs Helps With Icing!

Decorating By laceylace_2004 Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 11:32am by AnnieCahill

laceylace_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceylace_2004 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 12

I am fairly new to this industry, and I am noticing that once I started selling my cake creations, that I am experiencing icing issues like I never did when I iced a cake at home. My main problem is the icing in the middle squishes out when I apply the top layer and apply the finishing layer of buttercream. Fondant makes it worse. My icing and cakes are room temperature. I have even cut back on the amount of icing I put in the middle, but nothing works. If I cut back on the icing, it will be all cake, no icing. I have even scraped off the excess, but it never ends! It is starting to cut into my profit because I am constantly having to remake cakes, fondant, and icing. Please help!

11 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 12

You should cool the cakes after they are filled. Put them in the fridge for a while before you ice the rest and apply fondant to cold cakes.

There is another thread about this same issue. I saw it just a few minutes ago.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633571&highlight=

Read this post, it is ling but might be helpful.

Good Luck

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 12

As cake settles, the icing can bulge from between the layers. If you allow your cake to settle before icing it, you won't need to repair the bulge.

Cake can't settle while cold in the refrigerator... it needs to settle at room temperature.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 12

Make sure you use a good stiff dam to hold the filling in. Then chill it and you shouldn't have any problems.

CWR41 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylace_2004

My main problem is the icing in the middle squishes out...

If I cut back on the icing, it will be all cake, no icing.

laceylace_2004 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks so much! So let me get this right. I need thicker buttercream to ice with, chill cake, and then layer with second layer? Or do I layer then chill? I read that link, and that was amazing. I would be horrified that the tile would smash cake onto my countertops! I would cry, but my dog would be happy, lol

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 12:48am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

laceylace_2004 wrote:
My main problem is the icing in the middle squishes out...

If I cut back on the icing, it will be all cake, no icing.

Why did you quote this? Am I missing something?

Use a stiff icing to create a dam in which you will put your filling. The dam should be stiff enough so that you can mold it with your fingers. It will still pipe through a coupler or round tip no problem. You just have to squeeze really hard. After it's filled, you can either chill it or not. I don't usually chill cakes unless I have a perishable filling. The chilling is just to help you apply the fondant more smoothly, especially if you use a full layer of BC under the fondant. If your filling is just buttercream, then you can probably let it sit at room temperature. You also don't have to let it settle if your dam is stiff enough. I have iced several cakes right away without letting them settle. The tie-dye cake in my pics was iced and assembled that morning. The bottom tier was a black forest cake with whipped cream and cherries for the filling. That is a very soft, loose filling and it stayed in because I used a crazy stiff dam.

So you have your bottom layer, pipe the dam and fill, then replace second layer. If you are doing cakes with more than two layers then you would obviously do that in between each layer. If it makes you feel better to settle the cake then you can put something heavy on top like a tile or cookbook. Then ice it as normal and cover it in fondant. Hope this helps.

laceylace_2004 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 1:51am
post #8 of 12

I was referring to putting only a small amount of icing in the filling thinking I was using too much. I thought if I put less, then it wouldn't come out on the sides. If I used less icing for the filler, the icing would be nonexistent. Sorry for the confusion!

Thank y'all so much! I never heard of a stiff dam until today.

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:13am
post #9 of 12

Lacey, I perfectly understood what you were asking, just not why CWR41 re-posted from your post, LOL. Anyway, good luck!

laceylace_2004 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:16am
post #10 of 12

Oh haha. Thanks so much!

CWR41 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:51am
post #11 of 12

Yes, I quoted the OP.

Around here, we don't refer to spreading "icing in the middle" as "filling", nor using a filling which requires a dam. (Just thought "filling" didn't apply to the question, when the OP was asking about icing in the title and the post.)

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 11:32am
post #12 of 12

Anything sandwiched between cake layers is filling, and that goes for most decorators that I know. The dam would be used regardless of what that filling is. I have actually had a bulge occur even when using BC in between the layers if I don't use a dam. The strange thing is that I have only experienced any bulging using American buttercream recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%