What Is The Best Knife For Carving A Cake?

Decorating By Kathy107 Updated 29 Feb 2012 , 2:40am by rosech

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I have the Wilton serrated bread knife and a small pearing knife for carving my cake. Do you have a better knife for carving cakes? Thanks.

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:58am
post #2 of 8

Not really. My best carving tool is a really sharp paring knife. I also have one that's shaped like the paring knife but is longer. But the most important thing is that they should be super sharp. I don't really like carving with serrated knifes. I find you can't get the detail that you get with a well-honed non-serrated blade. Anybody else have an opinion about this?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:50am
post #3 of 8

I use a serrated bread knife because it cuts cake better than a flat blade, but I guess everyone has their preference when it comes to cutting things up. icon_twisted.gif

shawnteel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawnteel Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:07am
post #4 of 8

I personally dont care at all for serrated knofes when trying to carve a cake. I have a boning knofe that I use and I love it! But I think it is just all about personal preference.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:24am
post #5 of 8

I like a long, serrated bread knife. It doesn't "Push" down and compress the fondant because you can "saw" through the fondant.

Winco makes a lovely, inexpensive 12" knife. Just look online or Amazon.

The main thing that is important is TO CLEAN YOUR KNIFE BETWEEN EACH CUT! If you let frosting and crumbs glob it up, it will butcher your slices.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:49am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Not really. My best carving tool is a really sharp paring knife. I also have one that's shaped like the paring knife but is longer. But the most important thing is that they should be super sharp. I don't really like carving with serrated knifes. I find you can't get the detail that you get with a well-honed non-serrated blade. Anybody else have an opinion about this?

I totally agree with you about a well-honed and VERY sharp non-serrated blade! If you asked me two years ago I would have said serrated hands-down! Once I tried a non-serrated I've NEVER looked back! I find that a non-serrated knife makes a cleaner, sharper cut, whereas a serrated knife tends to saw the cake off making more of mess! But, as others have stated, it's a matter of personal preference!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 11:49am
post #7 of 8

It also might make a difference if the cake is room temp or cold. I do all my carving at room temp, I don't freeze anything, so the serrated knife works fine.

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 2:40am
post #8 of 8

Sharp paring knife works for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%