SheliaRenee Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 12:06am
post #1 of

I have been on the internet looking everywhere for the restrictions on selling cakes out of my home, but I haven't been able to find very much. I live in Lauderdale County, AL. I am not sure if I need a license to do this or what. I know of one other woman who just recently stopped doing cakes out of her home. She actually did my wedding cake about 7 years ago. I was told she didn't have a home license. She has done cakes for all kinds of local businesses and just about everyone I know. I'm not sure if I need to have all of this stuff done before I continue with my cakes or not. I just recently started doing this and I've already got a ton of cake orders for the next few months. What would you do?

7 replies
bernerluv Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 12:54am
post #2 of

Try doing a search on your government website. I checked first w/ the department that handles restaurant inspections in my state (NC). They sent me to the food & agriculture dept which handles home based business in NC and they told me everything I needed to know. My business partner and I both have pets so we can't do any baking out of our homes, unless I remodel my basement. We have opted to rent commercial kitchen space by the hour as needed for now. Hope this helps!

SheliaRenee Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 1:08am
post #3 of

Ok, Thank you!

sillywabbitz Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 1:33am
post #4 of

Try this link. It's the most up to date list on various state cottage food laws. There is a link at the bottom for AL

http://www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/Facts.aspx

Blueridgebuttercream Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 1:37am
post #5 of

In my experience (here in VA, at least), it can be difficult to find things on the government websites unless you know the proper legal jargon for your state (home-based food processor, Cottage Food Law, etc).

In desperation I ended up using the contact email for the Dept. of Health. They replied very promptly and pointed me to the right department (Dept. of Ag, here). I was pleasantly surprised at how helpful they were, so if you can't find it with google, try contacting them directly.

wespam Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 12:25pm
post #6 of

Hi, I'm in Morgan CO in AL, Hartselle, area. PM me and I will be happy to share what I know, Pam

bluedaisies Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 6:46pm
post #7 of

Good luck! I'm not sure if AL has a Cottage Food Law or not. But here in FL we do, and it's VERY difficult to find anyone that can answer any questions about it. I finally got a hold of a live person in the Ag department that was able to answer some questions. Hope you have an easier time with it!

scp1127 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 7:57am
post #8 of

Just call or make an appointment with your local HD. You can also ask them for the application. All will be there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%