Help!! First Wedding Cake

Decorating By 5Cali20 Updated 25 Feb 2012 , 11:25pm by MKC

5Cali20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
5Cali20 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 3

So it's my first time making a wedding cake and I'm not sure what I'm doing. I would really appreciate if I could have some questions answered. It's going to be a 3 tier cake with a gazebo between the middle and top layer. Can anyone give me suggestions as to how I should stack the cake? What do I use to stack it and keep it in place? Do I use buttercream or royal icing to pipe out the decoration on the fondant? Any suggestions for transporting the cake? How do I ensure the lace ribbon stays on? I'm sorry, I know it's a lot of questions but I'm really nervous and not sure what I'm entirely doing since this is my first wedding cake icon_sad.gif

2 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 3

Hello and welcome to CC!

Doing a wedding cake, contrary to what a lot of people think, is actually quite hard to do, and It sounds like you have taken on quite a cake for not having any idea what you are doing!

Someone's wedding is one horrible time to attempt to make something you've never done before, if I were you I'd find someone else to do it that has experience. If not, I hope you have given yourself LOTS of time to practice practice practice!

There are countless threads here that have step by step instructions on how to stack a cake, you should also check You tube, countless videos are posted.

Good luck!

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 3

I would suggest watching all "tonedna1" videos on YouTube. She shows how to stack cakes, icing cakes, etc. That's how I got started.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%