Need Help With Sugar Diamonds Please For Today

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 25 Feb 2012 , 3:47pm by Kahuna

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I ordered sugar diamonds from Global on the package it said not to put them in the refridgerator, so of course the cake is cream cheese filling and needs to stay in the fridge. The package also says applying cooking oil may extend the apperance. Can I spray them with olive oil or vegetable oil or do they mean like Crisco? I know the cakes are going to sweat enroute and I'm worried about the diamonds desolving. So I'm only going to have like 45 minutes to put them on the cake when we get there and there are a lot of them to apply. Also, I got clear piping gel to apply them with, is that O.K. to use? Sorry this is so long but I would greatly appreciate any advise, tips etc. I live in FL so humidity is always a problem. Thanks in advance!!

Sue

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 3

I've used a fair number of sugar diamonds. I just don't make cakes that ever have to go in the fridge, but I think it would not be good for the diamonds. Yes, definitely use your finger to rub oil on the outside. Olive oil, veg oil, whatever. Just a tiniest bit. Piping gel works fine. Can you leave earlier to give yourself more time?

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 3

Leah,

Thank you soo much, I wish I could but it's at the zoo and they aren't letting people in to set up until a certian time, but I will be in as soon as possible. Also, it's in a cafe not like the aviary LOL don't have to worry about the animals, just kids, etc. At least I can coat the diamonds now and stick them on when we get there, I really appreciate your help.

Sue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%