Advice For Stacking/layering To Get A Nice, Tall Cake

Decorating By rockinbobbin Updated 25 Feb 2012 , 8:38pm by rockinbobbin

rockinbobbin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockinbobbin Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 5

I tried doing a search, but I am not finding what I need.
I want a single tier with many layers - does that make sense (I dont' know if I'm using the cake jargon correctly - tier is probably the wrong word since it's just one cake).
Is there a certain number of layers to use? Or is it bakers choice?
Usually, I only make 2 layers and call it good, but this time I want a "tall" cake.
Do you need any support in between? I will be using a 2" pans, 8" in diameter.

Also, what is this I've heard/read about putting weight on top of the cake? Yikes - doesn't it squoosh too much?

Could you point me to a good tutorial on this? I know it's very basic, but I want to start doing this right.

Thanks for your time.

4 replies
blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 5

I was taught any cake layer/tier over 6" high needs boards. For two reasons: 1. No one wants that huge of a piece of cake, most dessert plates are 6" or less in diameter. 2. Anything much taller than 6" will get too heavy and top heavy. So you will need to put cake boards and dowels between every 5" to 6" of the layers. Also put one large dowel through the entire cake to keep it stable. I don't make many tall cakes so I use the old fashioned wood or plastic dowels with cake boards. I know there are more stable systems to build tall cakes.

You would put some weight (like a book) on top of the cake to help it settle and to help eliminate the "spare tire" look of frosting or filling seeping out between the layers. The weight shouldn't be too heavy.

I hope this answers your questions. Good luck

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 5

Basic rule of thumb is to use supports for every 4" of cake height. You can go as high as you want with the correct support system... it's just like building a tier cake, but the tiers all happen to be the same size.

If you're using three 2" tall layers (6" tall), you could use a board in the middle at 3" (if torting), or take your chances without the middle board, but definitely use skewers to help prevent the layers from sliding apart from one another.

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 5

I have always heard 4 inches as well but I have broken the rule before. It was fine for the party but it started to sink after the cake was cut.

How tall is "tall?"

rockinbobbin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockinbobbin Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 5

"Tall" would be like this....
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2262717/peony-cake

I am making a graduation cake for my sister, and I want it very simple. I like this look better than the usual 2 layers I've done in the past.
I've never baked nice, full cakes - they never quite come to the edge of the pan and dome over nicely. In addition to simply filling them more, I want to try another layer.
I will probably use a few dowels and cardboard to separate the layers.
thanks for the hints.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%