Does Anyone Know If You Can Buy Tiny Letter Cutters Anywhere

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 6:46pm by AENM1

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 11

I haven't seen any, so I dont know if they exist. The smallest letter cutters I have are probably the script click sticks, but I just wondered if you could get any little tiny ones to write more on a cake. Someone has asked me for a cake with some writing in a speech bubble, but to use any of my cutters the bubble is going to have to be pretty big! I've seen somewhere on some cupcakes little letters pressed into the fondant on top of a cupcake, but dont know where to buy those either! Any suggestions anyone? I'm in the UK x

10 replies
tamimccloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamimccloud Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 11

Wilton makes a set but they are probably 3/4" to 1' big.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 11

Can you make a fondant plaque for the bubble? It would give you more space and can be placed at a tilt without interfering with your overall design.

emma_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_123 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 11

I've got some small patchwork cutters for numbers and they do alphabet ones in those so it might be worth seeing if they are about the right size?

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 11

I just bought some tiny letter embossers from Michael's in the clay supply aisle. You could cut out the speech bubble and emboss it, rather than glue cut out letters.

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:55am
post #6 of 11

Michaels has small letter stampers...I bought some this weekend...works pretty well...

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:07am
post #7 of 11

Instead of buying something, can you just write or print it?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:17am
post #8 of 11

I've seen cake where the decorator used the Wilton letters designed to be a template to guide the icing. It looks nice, but still only an indentation. I can't write on cakes, so I look for every option.

I have made a "scroll" or "tag" and used the writing pens. They don't work that well. I have also used Sharpies to do the same thing. They work great. I just tell the client that the scroll is inedible and that it is written in Sharpie. They have tons of colors.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

I actually didnt even think about that, I do have some food colouring pens but I dont think they are that good. Sharpies are a great idea! I actually found out today that the girl I was making it for next week doesnt even want the cake anymore icon_sad.gif but I will remember tips for future reference. I just wish I didn't have to buy online so I could look at the things I was buying!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

I actually didnt even think about that, I do have some food colouring pens but I dont think they are that good. Sharpies are a great idea! I actually found out today that the girl I was making it for next week doesnt even want the cake anymore icon_sad.gif but I will remember tips for future reference. I just wish I didn't have to buy online so I could look at the things I was buying!

I meant write or print it by piping with icing. When someone asks for writing on a cake, I think they'd expect piped icing in cursive handwriting or printed piping.

AENM1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AENM1 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 11

yes Hobby Lobby or Michaels have very small letter cutters all caps letters with numbers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%