Need Help On This Technique Please

Decorating By mcaballero2 Updated 15 Feb 2013 , 3:25am by Annabakescakes

mcaballero2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaballero2 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 9:44am
post #1 of 10

Hi there,
I'm trying to find out how to achieve the look of the middle tier in the photo enclosed. I initially thought of doing a top with a large horizontal drape across the cake but I see no seam/join in that tier. Can anyone help me with this please? Thanks in advance!
LL

9 replies
CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 10

It looks like a big wrap to me. It's probobly joined at the back.

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 10

How would you do the top and bottom? Beautiful.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 10

I LOVE this cake! I have it pinned on my Pinterest! To me it looks like the middle tier might be 2 pieces of fondant wrapped around... if you fold the edge over right, you wouldn't notice a seam... and a skinnier piece of fondant would be a little easier to manage...

mcaballero2 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyHammond

How would you do the top and bottom? Beautiful.

The top and bottom I would do by placing several fondant cut outs on the surface of an already covered fondant cake and connect each piece using buttercream and a small diameter tip for the lines. There's a great tutorial on it somewhere, just do a search for irish lace cake.

Thank you everyone for your answers! Do any of you know how to get the top of the swag to line up with the bottom border of the top tier so that it looks seamless?

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 10

So, I've been investigating this cake because, as I said it's on my Pinterest- a cake I've been drooling over, haha! Anyway, from my Pinterest I was able to find this link, photo's of the wedding... if you scroll down, near the middle-ish of the page there is a photo with a close up of the back... to me it looks like the cake was first covered with white fondant, then "swags" or "bands" of fondant were added and slouched and folded to look like fabric. It looks to me like it was added in 2 pieces, but with the folds it looks like one.... but the top of the cake, therefore the line at the bottom of the top tier is just the initial white fondant covering... does that make sense, lol?! This is one of my bookmarked "MUST make cakes" so please post pictures when you're done, I'd love to see them!!

http://www.claryphotoblog.com/2010/09/mark_and_gina_1.html

mcaballero2 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 7:46am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCake10609

So, I've been investigating this cake because, as I said it's on my Pinterest- a cake I've been drooling over, haha! Anyway, from my Pinterest I was able to find this link, photo's of the wedding... if you scroll down, near the middle-ish of the page there is a photo with a close up of the back... to me it looks like the cake was first covered with white fondant, then "swags" or "bands" of fondant were added and slouched and folded to look like fabric. It looks to me like it was added in 2 pieces, but with the folds it looks like one.... but the top of the cake, therefore the line at the bottom of the top tier is just the initial white fondant covering... does that make sense, lol?! This is one of my bookmarked "MUST make cakes" so please post pictures when you're done, I'd love to see them!!

You are awesome! Thank you so much for the info! The bride booked a year early and isn't 100% sure she's going with this one but I will definitely post pics. I would love to make this one also so fingers crossed icon_biggrin.gif

mcaballero2 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 7:53am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCake10609

Okay, I just looked at the pictures and I think you're spot on. It seems like three pieces of fondant being folded over and I think you're right about it being covered in fondant first. Thanks again!

Vitaedolce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vitaedolce Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 10

Actually the middle tier is covered in white fondant then draped with 3 drapes. Start at the bottom of the cake first and place the next drape slightly over the first with the bottom of the second drape folded slightly under. If you look at the picture it clearly shows 3 folds, hope this makes sense.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 3:25am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaedolce 

Actually the middle tier is covered in white fondant then draped with 3 drapes. Start at the bottom of the cake first and place the next drape slightly over the first with the bottom of the second drape folded slightly under. If you look at the picture it clearly shows 3 folds, hope this makes sense.

I am so glad you joined to clear that up for everyone, I know we have all been on pins and needles for last 11 months ;-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%