Small Topsy Turvy Cake

Decorating By mjsirhunter Updated 25 Feb 2012 , 4:45pm by mjsirhunter

mjsirhunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjsirhunter Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 3:34am
post #1 of 7

I have a customer that wants a three tiered topsy turvy cake for her daughters birthday. She originally wanted 6", 8" 10" but only needs to serve 20. When I told her how much cake that would be she decided she wanted it smaller. I was thinking 4",6" 8" ( she is instant on 3 tiers) but she wants a Tiara as a topper and Im afraid that the tiara will be too big for the 4" tier. Any suggestion- Do tiers that are only an inch different in diameter look ok (i.e 5",6",7")? Ive always had 2 inches between my tier sizes. TIA

6 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 4:29am
post #2 of 7

Hi,

Those sizes will be fine and look ok to icon_smile.gif As far as the tiara, If yr making an edible tiara, just make the photocopy of the tiara that your going to use, smaller than the size you would normally use. Before you began making the Tiara, take you copy and measure it around the top of the tier, where it will be going to make sure you have the right size, not too big and not too small icon_smile.gif

HTH

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 7:32am
post #3 of 7

I do not think that a 1" difference is going to work well on a TT cake. Are you doing the cut out method? You're going to have trouble with just a .5" lip. The 4-6-8" works well, though. If you are not making the tiara, perhaps you could find a smaller one? Or just clip the sides so there is just the front tiara-y part.

mjsirhunter Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 7

This customer is one of my regulars and likes things to be non-ediable. So I will be buying a tiara for the top. She also want stars on metel sticks sticking out of the cake and she dosent want the stars to be ediable-put a hitch in my git-up! lol I have no idea how im going to do non-ediable starts on metal wires this time of year but I will figure it out- sorry off topic. As far as the tiers go- yes I am going to do the cuting method and last night was thinking how would 6-7-8 look? Maybe im making this too complicated. Also I use wiltons serving guide for round cakes. Is that accurate for a party cake? Or should I be counting less servings per tier?

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with Kory and would do 2"...why is the customer so insistent on non-edible?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 7

this sounds like a really picky customer that is un-educated on how your baking works. if she is insistent on having certain things then you have to tell her what works and what doesn't work! I would not try to accomplish a cake that small for a topsy turvy...if she really wants 3 tiers tell her you have to do it in regular cake form or else you sculpting into the cake is going to cause it to fall apart. don't make yourself stressed over what your customer is uneducated on...you're the baker!

also, if she's wanting plastic non edible decorations I can understand that...some people don't want to waste the edible ones or they think they don't taste good so why have them. i think a little information on what you can or can't do for this customer would stop all of her pickiness! icon_biggrin.gif

mjsirhunter Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 7

Im going to get ther tiara and see how it fits on the 4". I do think the 4,6,8 is what I will go with. She only gave me three must haves- three tiers, tiara on top and non ediable stars on wires. Other than that she has given me complete freedom (which she always does) and she does listen to me when I make other suggestions but this time its the three tiers and only 20 ppl. thats making this difficult- I suggested only two tiers and she didnt like it. I definatly have some playing around with this to do. The suggestions are great though! Thanks everyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%