Question - Smoothing Bc With Hot Spatula

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 12:40am by HappyCake10609

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 14

I've tried the hot spatula technique to smooth my bc and all it did was drag the fondant and make it look terrible. So what's the trick I'm missing? Do you keep a pot of boiling water beside you, dip, wipe, and smooth? I used my metal cake icing spatula, is that the correct one?

My hubby had the idea they should have an electric spatula just for this purpose, I think he's right!

13 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 14

Did you try this on a fondant covered cake?!?!?!

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

Oh geez no! I just what I wrote lol. So sorry! No, buttercream!! icon_smile.gif

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 14

I was thinking that was the case, but I wasn't sure. I think you'd benefit from getting a Sugarshack video; Perfecting The Art of Buttercream. Changed the whole way I put my cakes together once I watched that! I don't use American style buttercream, but the basics are the same. Seeing it for yourself will clear up any confusion you might have.

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 14

You tube : search "How to smooth a cake " there is a good one by serious cakes and many more.

sing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sing Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

I thought the same thing icon_lol.gif

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 3:48am
post #7 of 14

I use a bench scraper, keep the boiling water next to me, dip for several seconds, wipe, scrape for maybe 1/5 turn, & repeat. I second the suggestion of the Sugarshack video!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 4:10am
post #8 of 14

I've only had luck using that method with ganache or on a well chilled and crusted cake.

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 14

I let spatula sit in the hot water a few seconds, tap off excess(not wipe)water and smooth...I love this method.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 14

I keep a crock pot (set to high) full of boiling water next to me on the counter.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I keep a crock pot (set to high) full of boiling water next to me on the counter.

Leah time and time again you are my hero...I hate being forced to work by the stove and I have a small crockpot. This will work out much bettericon_smile.gif

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 14

I am going to have to get that video now! I am terrible at the hot knife technique (I can do it with ganache, but it takes me hours with buttercream)

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 12:22am
post #13 of 14

I smooth my smbc/ganache this way too, but in stead of using hot water and having to wipe the spatula...I have my gas burner on the lowest setting and run the scraper/spatula through the flame...it's very quick and it works well for me . thumbs_up.gif

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 12:40am
post #14 of 14

What type of buttercream are you using? I use SMBC and to smooth it I use a variation of the "hot knife" technique... I don't heat the knife! I let my icing set up hard in the fridge and then use a bench scraper/spatula to scrape the surface smooth, kind of like shaving off the bumps and ridges... This way the buttercream doesn't discolor from the heat. To keep from dragging the buttercream, make sure to clean your utensil often, and use firm pressure at an angle!

Here is a video, you can just skip past the "icing your cake" part at the beginning...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%