Help! Sharon Z's Topsy Turvy Cake Not Holding Up

Decorating By amandaluvscakes Updated 26 Feb 2012 , 11:59pm by Pam1976

amandaluvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandaluvscakes Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 9

I have Sharon Z's Topsy Turvy DVD which is awesome. I have followed it step by step (except for using WASC recipe instead) with success - but it is not holding up the weight and shape that I have carved. I am sure it is the cake recipe ( I thought that WASC would hold). Cake isn't due until tomorrow and only need one of the layers topsy turvy. I am currently getting ready to bake the pound cake recipe that she supplied ( she supplies two recipes Topsy turvy cake recipe and pound cake) -but I don't remember her mentioning which one to use). I am super short on time with this cake.
I have never made pound cake but have read that it is very sturdy for carving. Once the cake is cooked and cooled do i need to freeze it or can I fill it and let it settle for a few hours and move on to the ganche step - so that can set overnight and I can apply the fondant in the morning.
Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

8 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 9

Did you ganache the cake that is not holding its shape? I've used Wasc before and not had a problem. The ganache should hold everything into place? Can you upload a pic so we understand the issue?

Did you put fondant on a cold cake? Maybe it's a condensation problem.

amandaluvscakes Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 9

I did ganche the cake but the cake had buckled a bit over night but didn't seem too bad when I applied the fondant. but the weight of the fondant is seeming to make it lean. I will try to post a picture if I can figure it out.

amandaluvscakes Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 9

she how it is saggy - the top that once had a sharp slant is now flattening out as well - Ugh!
hope the picture attaches
LL

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 9

That's definately buckling. How long did you let the ganache set? What ratio of choc to cream did you use? What type of choc did you use? Semi sweet?mdark or milk? My only thought on this is that the ganache was too soft. When the ganache sets on the cake, it should make a hard shell. You should be able to press on it and it not give. When I did this, my choc was softer than Sharon's so I had to increase the amount of chocolate to get a better setting consistency. When I switched to using regular choc instead of chips, I didn't have that problem.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 9

While the second cake is baking, take apart the first one to see if it can be saved and to see what's going on.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 9

I've read here on this site that if your fondant is sagging at the bottom like that it means the cake hasn't completely settled before the fondant was applied. To speed up settling you could put something heavy on the top of the cake. I think Leah H acutally uses a large ceramic tile.

amandaluvscakes Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 9

I ended up baking a pound cake which held up and carved beautifully - not too taste though. When I did cut into the cake that sagged it was just too moist. I had let it settle for about 7 hours and then carved and put ganache on it. It was petty crumbly/moist when I carved it . Just don't think that WASC is the way to go for a carved cake. Hoping to find a yummy yet sturdy cake for carving.
I'll post the final product - was pretty happy with it.
LL

Pam1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam1976 Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 9

I think Sharon Z's sturdy cake recipe is great for carving! Dense, yet moist and delish!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%