Flavoring Icing

Baking By cindylou2 Updated 24 Feb 2012 , 3:49pm by cindylou2

cindylou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindylou2 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 4

Silly question I know but I am a novice baker and want to be sure I do this correctly. I'm making chocolate buttercream for the first time and normally I would just use vanilla extract. But I'd like to do half with almond and half with vanilla. So would I divide the icing in half first before putting any extract in at all?
Told you it was a silly question

3 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 4

Are you saying you want two separate batches of buttercream? Or are you making one batch of chocolate buttercream that you want flavored with both almond and vanilla? You would just add the extracts when you are creaming the fats together, and then add the chocolate after it's cooled.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 4

I'd make the vanilla buttercream, then divide it in half and add the almond extract to the half that you want the almond taste. The vanilla and almond will blend together, and you will get an almond taste.

The other option would be to make two smaller batches of icing.

cindylou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindylou2 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks ladies. I wasnt sure if I needed to add the vanilla and then add almond afterwards. I want to have a bit of both for the icing but not making two seperate batches. I just thought it might be too sweet to use the vanilla and then add the almond. But I'll give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%