Giant Cupcake Disaster :(

Decorating By loobielou Updated 9 Mar 2012 , 11:34pm by fcakes

loobielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loobielou Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 9:32am
post #1 of 11

hi
ive been asked to do a giant cupcake for a girls birthday.
everything going swimmingly until i tried to make a chocolate mould of the base...... it broke whilst trying to get it out.... the problem is cake needed tomorrow and i dont have any other ideas for decorating the base part.
can anybody help!

thanks
Lou

10 replies
Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 9:37am
post #2 of 11

fondant

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 11

I recently made a chocolate base for a giant cupcake and the base was ready in under an hour. Could you re-melt the chocolate and try it again?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 11

Yes remelt the choc base. Use about 1/2 the bag of candy melts for the first layer, fridge for 10 min. Apply the rest of melted choc for even second coat and free for 20 min. By freezing the second time, it will fall out of the container. No pulling pushing or breaking. It just slides right out. It took me 3 attempts to figure out this was the trick. Make sure you use at least 12 oz of choc so it's thick enough.

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 11

thanks for the tip sillywabbitz -I was going to attempt one of these next week!

sillywabbitz Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbye27

thanks for the tip sillywabbitz -I was going to attempt one of these next week!

You're welcomeicon_smile.gif I'm totally in love with the giant cupcakes right now.mFYI, you have to trim down the bottom of the cupcake so it will fit in the shell. Some people just bake 4 inch rounds because they fit nicely in the shell.

sing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sing Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 12:06am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Yes remelt the choc base. Use about 1/2 the bag of candy melts for the first layer, fridge for 10 min. Apply the rest of melted choc for even second coat and free for 20 min. By freezing the second time, it will fall out of the container. No pulling pushing or breaking. It just slides right out. It took me 3 attempts to figure out this was the trick. Make sure you use at least 12 oz of choc so it's thick enough.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm glad you were able to figure it out thumbs_up.gif

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 11

[quote="sing"]

Quote:

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE TIP!! This seriously worked like a charm! I was doubting it the whole process b/c it didn't look clean and even on the first coat at all, but when I put that second coat in and stuck it in the freezer it looked much more even, AND THEN..... it slid right out!!!

I love this site!

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 5:38am
post #9 of 11

do you use the silicone mold for baking the cupcake? I've heard bad reviews for the Wilton metal mold.

And which mold do you use to paint the chocolate? TIA!

sillywabbitz Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:09pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcakes

do you use the silicone mold for baking the cupcake? I've heard bad reviews for the Wilton metal mold.

I have Wilton metal giant cupcake pan and it works great for me. I read early in to bake the top and bottom separately otherwise the top over cooks. After learning that I haven't had any problems. I use the same pan to make the chocolate mold.

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcakes

I have Wilton metal giant cupcake pan and it works great for me. I read early in to bake the top and bottom separately otherwise the top over cooks. After learning that I haven't had any problems. I use the same pan to make the chocolate mold.

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%