Need To Do An 'old School' Wedding Cake Tier...need Help!

Decorating By carmijok Updated 26 Feb 2012 , 11:19am by AnnieCahill

carmijok Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 6:48am
post #1 of 13

I am supposed to do a copy of the top tier of a wedding cake for a 30 year old anniversary. It's supposed to be a surprise for her parents. So far the only pictures I received from the daughter are so fuzzy it's hard to make out a lot of details. She said if I could just capture the 'essence' of it they would be happy. OK...anyone know what types of buttercream swirls and such were popular at that period? I don't think it had any BC roses on it, but it does have some edging that I can't quite make out. I"ve looked online and can't seem to find any old buttercream style wedding cakes. I looked at mine but it's not as poofy as this one.
Also anyone know where I can find any small white sugar bells? Or I guess I could make them.

Anyway, I need to practice big time on this. Any suggestions or links will be appreciated!
Thank you!

12 replies
msthang1224 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 8:56am
post #2 of 13


Sorry, I can't help with the "old school" cake question but take a look at this: Bells Mold by First Impressions LOVE THEME&Category=Wedding Silicone Molds


cakemaker2 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 13

Can you post a picture of the original cake? I have a 1982 Wilton yearbook. It shows mostly shell borders, piped swag garland, and piped flowers. I tried to attach the pictures myself but Either I am doing something wrong, (not very computer savy) or it just wont let me. icon_redface.gif HTH

carmijok Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 13

Here's the photo. I can kind of see a bit of the side and I think those are bells and a pearl like spray for the topper but what could those pointy things around the top edge of the cake be?

CWR41 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 13

I don't know what the pointy things are, but the top spray is Lily of the Valley.

carmijok Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 13
Originally Posted by CWR41

I don't know what the pointy things are, but the top spray is Lily of the Valley.

Thanks! Now anyone know what the piped edging is and what tip to use?

cakelady2266 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 13

I'm not 100% but I think the top border was done with a leaf tip, like a #68 or #69 maybe bigger but that type tip. Not pulled completely straight but use it like you were making a shell border just not real close together shells.

If all else fails do a ruffle with a 103 or 104 tip along the top and trim it with a 16 or 17 shell border.

Either one was popular in back on those days. The spray on the sides of the cake are lily of the valley and so is the spiky stuff on top. It was probably done on coated wires in royal icing and dried.

I hope this helped and didn't totally confuse youicon_smile.gif

carmijok Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you cakelady2266! I will start practicing this weekend. And good tip on the royal icing lily of the valley. Wasn't quite sure how to approach that!

leah_s Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 13

The side motifs look like the Wilton heart impression maker (I think from the blue set) , upside down, and then just dots. Once you get past the jarring difference in the look as compared to today, these can be fun to do. Big shell borders, piped on "squiggle" swags. It's really easy. I'm sure those lilys of the valley were the fabric one that Wilton sold. Don't think out of the box for this. Wilton products all the way.

Unlimited Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 13
Originally Posted by carmijok

And good tip on the royal icing lily of the valley. Wasn't quite sure how to approach that!

Those sprigs are purchased silk.

I don't believe lily-of-the-valley are piped on the sidesthe design is joined together at each top. They appear to be arches.

Nancy_TX Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 13

I actually think what you're calling bells might be a clump of butter cream roses in the center of each tier. That was very common.

Any chance the pointy things stick up around the side on top are doves? Remember the old plastic doves you used to see on cakes?

I found a picture of the old Wilton bells and doves...

carmijok Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 7:14am
post #12 of 13

Thanks everyone for the help! I actually inverted the color on the photo (you can see some things better in negative) and the design around the side is an arch...but it mimics the lily of the valley look and has two long leaves at the base of each arching 'stem'. I think I can do that. On second look I too think that instead of bells that those really ARE buttercream roses around what looks like a base that has those lily of the valley strands coming out of it. Still don't know what those pointy things are, but I don't believe they are doves. I may just leave those out. I was told as long as I could at least capture the 'essence' of it that would be fine. I think I have enough to work with now. Thank you all again...(but if anyone really may know what the points are I would still like to know!) icon_biggrin.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 11:19am
post #13 of 13

I was also going to say a leaf tip for the borders. And I definitely agree with Leah about the Wilton stuff. Wilton was all the rage in the 80s.

Quote by @%username% on %date%