Sheet Cake....help!

Decorating By jena2727 Updated 25 Feb 2012 , 3:34am by icer101

jena2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jena2727 Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 11

OK, I am working up a price for my first sheet cake. I've scoured the internet for advice and just can't find what I'm looking for!

When making a sheet cake do you use 2 separate layers or 1 layer and tort? I am sure some do it differently but majority rules in my book!

I feel like the ones I have had from the grocery store are one layer.... HELP!!

10 replies
theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 11

I am definitely not the last word on this but I can't imagine the degree of difficulty in torting a sheet cake evenly, without breaking and/or cursing! I'd go with 2 layers myself! It would also take me less time to bake a second cake and layer it than torte it! Also depending on the servings you need, a 1 layer sheet cake makes for quite a measly serving or less servings for the sheet cake! Good luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 12:35am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jena2727

I feel like the ones I have had from the grocery store are one layer.

They typically are one layer. (cut into 2x2x2 slices for 8 cu. in. servings.)

Kitchen cakes are two layers. (cut into 1x2x4 slices for 8 cu. in. servings.)

luv2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake4u Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 12:48am
post #4 of 11

When I first started doing cakes for people I would do two layers and then after a while I figured out I was making way too much cake and not charging for it. I then began doing one layer sheet cakes and that seems to be the norm around my area. If you need to do a sheet cake for a wedding as extra cake then you would do a two layer cake (referred to as a kitchen cake).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 12:49am
post #5 of 11

A 'sheet cake' is generally one 2" layer withOUT filling.

They certainly can be torted and filled w/o problemsicon_smile.gif
Just chill the cake well, torte w/a good cake saw; slip a cake board between the two pieces and lift off; fill and replace the piece by placing about 2" of it on the filling topped bottom piece and pull the board out - not fast or super slow. You have to lift the board up at an angle to keep from scraping the filling off.

jena2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jena2727 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 1:54am
post #6 of 11

Thanks Everyone!! I was using the pricing matrix and using 2 layers seemed very expensive for a sheet cake!! I'll go with one layer.

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 2:16am
post #7 of 11

They get sheet cakes all the time at work . They are one 2"layer.

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 1:49am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jena2727

OK, I am working up a price for my first sheet cake. I've scoured the internet for advice and just can't find what I'm looking for!

When making a sheet cake do you use 2 separate layers or 1 layer and tort? I am sure some do it differently but majority rules in my book!

I feel like the ones I have had from the grocery store are one layer.... HELP!!

Too funny. I was just researching this earlier this week since my first sheet cake order is March 15th!

I'm 99% sure that the "norm" is to bake one 2" half sheet (12x18 or 13x18 -- or 24x18 for full) tort it and fill. So it ends up being 2 layers with 1 filling. A kitchen cake is 2 layers, both torted and filled (I believe).

The only sheet cake I've ever had was from Costco and theirs are one 2" layer, torted and filled.

HTH

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 1:55am
post #9 of 11

Sometimes I torte, sometimes I make two layers. It depends on the recipe. But all of mine are tall, 3 1/2 inches, some 4. Obvoiusly, all are filled. If they want the flat, grocery store style cake, they probably don't want my cake. I price by the amount of batter used to make the cake so all of mine are different.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 3:20am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

A 'sheet cake' is generally one 2" layer withOUT filling.

They certainly can be torted and filled w/o problemsicon_smile.gif

Exactly. Torting and fillings are optional.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 3:34am
post #11 of 11

When i make a sheet cake, i torte it and fill it(if that is what they want). If not, i just ice it and make the decorations. If they want two layers, then it would cost them more. I am not making 2 layers ,without getting more money. If they got the money, honey, then i got the time. lol!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%