Meringue Free Frosting For Pregnant Woman?

Baking By agouti Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 9:07pm by agouti

agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 11

I will be making a cake for a friend's baby shower. Until now, my frostings have almost always included meringue. I would very much appreciate any meringue/raw egg free recipes for sturdy vanilla and frostings (it will ultimately be a fondant covered cake). Thank you in advance for you recommendations!

10 replies
dzh115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dzh115 Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 11

You can make a butter based buttercream, or use meringue powder in a swiss or italian meringue buttercream if you prefer a less sweet icing. I have always been concerned about the possibility of the egg whites not getting hot enough, so I always use meringue powder combined with water and it works very well.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 2:02am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzh115

You can make a butter based buttercream, or use meringue powder in a swiss or italian meringue buttercream if you prefer a less sweet icing. I have always been concerned about the possibility of the egg whites not getting hot enough, so I always use meringue powder combined with water and it works very well.

Hello DZH115, I have been searching for a recipe for a meringue frosting using meringue powder. I'm allergic to egg yolks and have a fear of egg whites for frosting. Would you mind sharing your recipe? I've have read and heard a lot of wonderful comments about how wonderful the swiss or italian meringue buttercream tastes. I really want to try this frosting. TIA

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 3:35am
post #4 of 11

i have made Warren Brown's IMBC recipe with the Wilton Meringue Powder countless times. I also make SMBC using AllWhites pasteurized egg whites (in a carton). I'm pregnant at the moment, but even so i don't like using raw egg whites for my meringues in general.

dzh115 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 5:06am
post #5 of 11

Here is the one I use,

16 tsp Meringue Powder (this amount of meringue powder and water equals about 8 egg whites)
16 tbsp Water
2 cups granulated sugar
5 sticks unsalted butter (close to room temperature and cut into small pieces)
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract (or more to suit taste)
3 1/2 oz cooled melted white chocolate (optional)

Mix meringue powder with water. Add sugar and heat over a double boiler until the sugar is dissolved.
Transfer mixture to mixer bowl and beat with the wire whisk until stiff peaks form and the bowl is no longer warm. Switch to the paddle attachment and gradually add the butter. Beat at medium speed. It will look soupy and curdled, but keep beating until it comes together. Add vanilla extract and white chocolate (if using) and beat for another minute.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 5:53am
post #6 of 11

Thank you so very much for the recipe! I will try the recipe out this weekend. icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 5:56am
post #7 of 11

Do you know that 245 degree sugar syrup is poured onto the whites in IMBC? Everything is killed at 160 per the egg board. You have almost 100 degrees to spare.There is absolutely nothing unsafe in IMBC.

dzh115 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 6:29am
post #8 of 11

You are welcome HamSquad! Hope you like it. It is specially good with the chocolate added.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 11:27am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Do you know that 245 degree sugar syrup is poured onto the whites in IMBC? Everything is killed at 160 per the egg board. You have almost 100 degrees to spare.There is absolutely nothing unsafe in IMBC.

^ This ^ thumbs_up.gif

Pregnant ladies at my work have eaten my IMBC and lived to tell the tale! Seriously though, the eggs are cooked.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 1:38am
post #10 of 11

And if you really want to get technical, the inside of a cake only reaches just over 200 degrees, so the eggs in the cake are heated to a much lower temp, but still past that magic 160.

Pregnant women need to steer clear of uncooked or undercooked eggs such as sunny side up eggs or original recipe Key Lime pie. Some SMBC's, if the baker hasn't calibrated the thermometer or just eyeballs it, can be dangerous as SMBC is typically only cooked to 165. That 5 degrees is critical to insure safety.

agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you all so much! This has all been very good to know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%