10 Qt Stand Mixer Too Big?

Business By msichana Updated 24 Feb 2012 , 2:44pm by CakeItGood

msichana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msichana Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 8

I am looking to buy a stand mixer, about to blow out a second hand mixer and am now able to afford a heftier appliance. Looking at a 10 qt stand mixer but wondering if I will need a smaller mixer to do single batches. I don't want to have to buy two mixers, but I do enough mutliple batch baking that I am afraid to go with a 7 qt. Any advice?

7 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 8

having the 10qt will really be nice for making large batches of icing. However for the cake batter it will depend on how many pans you can bake at one time. You wouldn't want to make a large batch of cake only to have half of it sit untill you can get it in the oven to bake.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 8

Look at the Breville it has a 550w motor, timer, paddle mixer and many commercial kitchens are now getting these. I bought one for my daughter and now I want to throw out my kitchenaid.

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 8

GO for it! We have a 7 quart Cuisinart, and while it is a step up from the smaller KitchenAid that it replaced, there are times when I wish for a slightly larger mixer. I also have a smaller mixer for single batches. Happy shopping

msichana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msichana Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 1:06am
post #5 of 8

Thank you for the tips! Can't wait to have a serious mixer! CakeItGood, have you been happy with the Cuisinart? Reading so many mixed reviews!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 7:59am
post #6 of 8

RE: Cuisinart mixer.

Greatest investment ever! I have the 5.5 qt and it's a darling. My Pastry Arts program uses the 7qt for batches that are too small for the huge Hobart mixers.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 8

For business purposes, the 10 qt mixer will be more functional. Unless your kitchen is very hot, a large batter can sit at room temp until the oven is free. (But if you have any concern, just put the excess batter in the fridge until it can be panned and baked.) And a 10 qt size looks fine in a home kitchen.

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by msichana

Thank you for the tips! Can't wait to have a serious mixer! CakeItGood, have you been happy with the Cuisinart? Reading so many mixed reviews!

No regrets on the Cuisinart! Just like any other mixer out there, it has both pros and cons. I feel that the pros far outweigh the cons. Love the timer feature, to be able to set that to mix for a certain amount of time and walk away. Love that I can do three full batches of frosting or cake batter at once, and that the lid has a tight seal on the bowl while mixing. The deep bowl with double handles is easy to work with, and I love how it looks in my kitchen! The only thing that ever bugs me from time to time is how easily the beater can get knocked out of the housing when scraping the bowl with a spatula. Minor complaint! I also bought a Beater Blade to scrape the bowl while mixing, so that helps substantially. BTW, the Cuisinart parts are interchangeable with the discontinued Delonghi mixer and one other one (can't remember the name!). So finding extra beaters/bowls on Ebay at a discount is a little easier.

I also have a smaller vintage Sunbeam mixer for small batches, but I don't think it fluffs up the frosting as well as the Cuisinart, so I usually reserve it for cake batter. Have not used it as much since purchasing another bowl and blade for my large mixer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%