Wilton 2D Soccer Ball Cakepan..dowel For 3D Ball?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 24 Feb 2012 , 12:39am by Ursula40

Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 4

I have a cake order for a 3D Soccer ball.I have the wilton 2D Soccer ball pan and way just going to bake 2 halves to get a full 3D ball...Do I need to dowel it under the one half or will it be sturdy enough to cover in fondant without dowels...

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
Haimm01 Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 4

My yarn ball cake is made with that set and I didn't have a problem! I modify my cake mixes to so they are denser and stronger though. My Little Big Planet cake was actually made out of a glass dish that was bigger than the wilton ball pan and I didn't use dowels and their was a heavy modeling chocolate figurine on top. I probably should have put dowels in that one, but it turned out fine! Always better to not tempt fate though. I will be interested with what other people say! Dowels for 3D cakes always confuse me! icon_smile.gif

blissfulbaker Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 4

I did a 3D soccer ball a couple of months ago and I did not dowel it. I did make it out of pound cake. I would also recommend using a denser cake. I found the hardest part of making the soccer ball was dealing with the hexagons and pentagons.

Ursula40 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 12:39am
post #4 of 4

I just shove in a thin dowel, just in case, especially if I use slippery fillings. Did one yesterday, where I also filled each half of the ball, so I felt better with the dowel, filling was sour cherries and vanilla cream, ball was 4 layers of cake, with 3 fillings

Quote by @%username% on %date%